• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

So, this is my early feedback on the Cannon.  It certainly does produce an ENORMOUS amount of pepper per turn; and has more grind settings than seem relatable.  Also, it is very heavy and solid-feeling, in a lovely, two-hundred-dollar way.

But that smooth body, with no grooves or indents, no angling or nothing?  Well.  More than once I thought it was going to slip to ruin in some rolling boil of liquid. 

This seems like a distinct disadvantage as compared with the Weber and the Craig Lyn, which are designed with (what looks like) some grip-effect.  You definitely want to be thoughtful about greasy hands with the Cannon.    

Second, if you're holding the thing at a tilt, then the high volume pours out in a stream, and lands in a pile.  Not a problem in soup, or if you're measuring out some pepper.  But not what you want when you're dealing with a piece of meat, or eggs.  It scatters brilliantly if you are holding the thing vertical.  

Not a big deal -- the point was to be able to achieve volume.  

I'm not mad.  I'm just sayin'.  The slip thing feels more significant to me, a clumsy person, and I wish I'd considered this in advance. 

There is a very simple solution:  a good ole' rubber band. 

But, you know.  

SLB

SLB

So, this is my early feedback on the Cannon.  It certainly does produce an ENORMOUS amount of pepper per turn; and has more grind settings than seem relatable.  Also, it is very heavy and solid-feeling, in a lovely, two-hundred-dollar way.

But that smooth body, with no grooves or indents, no angling or nothing?  Well.  More than once I thought it was going to slip to ruin in some rolling bowl of liquid. 

This seems like a distinct disadvantage as compared with the Weber and the Craig Lyn, which are designed with (what looks like) some grip-effect.  You definitely want to be thoughtful about greasy hands with the Cannon.    

Second, if you're holding the thing at a tilt, then the high volume pours out in a stream, and lands in a pile.  Not a problem in soup, or if you're measuring out some pepper.  But not what you want when you're dealing with a piece of meat, or eggs.  It scatters brilliantly if you are holding the thing vertical.  

I'm not mad.  I'm just sayin'.  The slip thing feels more significant to me, a clumsy person, and I wish I'd considered this in advance. 

But, you know.  

SLB

SLB

But that smooth body, with no grooves or indents or nothing?  Well.  More than once I thought it was going to slip to ruin in some rolling bowl of liquid. 

But, you know.