• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City Prime Auction

Casetta

On Friday night I drove through Manayunk and there was black plastic over the windows at Kansas City Prime. Tonight there are giant red signs that say AUCTION. Anyone have the scoop on what's going on?

Anna

------------

CASETTA

"selling fame in fifteen second increments for pints of beer "

On Friday night I drove through Manayunk and there was black plastic over the windows at Kansas City Prime. Tonight there are giant red signs that say AUCTION. Anyone have the scoop on what's going on?

Anna

Nice sig line Anna! :wink:

I received an e-mailed invitation to come out to KCP in the waning days of December for two-for-one steaks before they closed. Alas, I didn't make it. The steaks there *used* to be quite palatable, but in recent years just didn't seem to be as good, so I guess I wasn't in a big 'ol hurry to get over there.

Interesting that they've actually sold the place rather than re-tooling, which seems to be in vogue these days when something isn't quite working (e.g. El Vez, Angelina, and that horrid knock-off Buca di Beppo where Arroyo Grill used to be).

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Interesting that they've actually sold the place rather than re-tooling, which seems to be in vogue these days when something isn't quite working (e.g. El Vez, Angelina, and that horrid knock-off Buca di Beppo where Arroyo Grill used to be).

I'd speculate that Derek Davis doesn't have the organization behind him to keep another place going well. Nor do I think he is able to attract the people for one.

Maybe he realizes where his limit is.

Sonoma, Carmella's. Fish on Main (?) I think that's all he has right now, right?

No more Vega Grill, Arroyo Grille, Kansas City Prime.

That's just me. I can't say that others have an anti-Manayunk bias, but I sort of do.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I'd speculate that Derek Davis doesn't have the organization behind him to keep another place going well. Nor do I think he is able to attract the people for one.

Maybe he realizes where his limit is.

Sonoma, Carmella's. Fish on Main (?) I think that's all he has right now, right?

No more Vega Grill, Arroyo Grille, Kansas City Prime.

That's just me. I can't say that others have an anti-Manayunk bias, but I sort of do.

Herb:

Just one note. Vega Grill was never in the Derek Davis stable. Owners were Lisa Martensen-Pauwels and her husband Greg. Guillermo Pernot was the opening chef and he left to open Pasion with Michael Dombkoski. The place never seemed to recover from that and eventually closed as well.

I haven't been to Manyunk in quite some time. Is the old Vega Grill space still lying fallow? That was a cute little spot, and well set up for a restaurant. Nice bar too.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just one note.  Vega Grill was never in the Derek Davis stable.  Owners were Lisa Martensen-Pauwels and her husband Greg.  Guillermo Pernot was the opening chef and he left to open Pasion with Michael Dombkoski.  The place never seemed to recover from that and eventually closed as well.

I haven't been to Manyunk in quite some time.  Is the old Vega Grill space still lying fallow?  That was a cute little spot, and well set up for a restaurant.  Nice bar too.

Thanks for the correction.

I was unsure about that one, too. I should have put that question mark next to it as well.

The Vega space itself was still open when I last walked past somewhere around 6 months ago. There did seem to be some activity, possibly just people clearing stuff out.

So Fish on Main is still there? I remember it opening as River City Diner, or something like that.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

So Fish on Main is still there? I remember it opening as River City Diner, or something like that.

Speaking of re-tooling...

What a shame that space is still empty. Someone needs to open a restaurant there.

Anyone? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

What a shame that space is still empty. Someone needs to open a restaurant there.

It is in operation now, and has been for a year.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

It is in operation now, and has been for a year.

So it's in biz as Fish on Main?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.