• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flu

Poor Monica :sad: Whatever you can keep down really. Saltines are good for a nauseous stomach and flat gingerale as well. Chicken broth, maybe some weak tea with honey?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oh, how awful. I suffered with a terrible flu a couple weeks back. I existed on dry toast, weak tea and Gatorade.

I hope you feel better soon, get lots of rest.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

My family always enjoyed "vitamin C tea." You crush some vitamin C tablets and dissolve them in hot water. You can just drink it that way, or add a little sugar or honey. It's very soothing.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My father's Hot Toddies were a mixture of hot tea, a teaspoon of honey, a sqeeze of lemon juice, and a judicial splash of bourbon.

I was seven years old and thought it tasted nasty - but it somehow seemed to help....

Sleep, little one - and feel better soon!

Any soup, but chicken works well, and any spice that you can take will help shake things loose. You may want to avoid tomatoes or really acidic stuff.

Plenty of fluids. Whatever you like, except dairy. As mentioned elsewhere, Gatorade, soda, tea - hot or cold with lots of lemon, or just plain water. My favorite trick when I had to be on the air, sick or not, was to hold a Hall's cough drop in my mouth, and sip hot water. The menthol, steam, and heat really work to clear the head.

Be careful on the Tylenol dosages, lots of new information coming out about the dangers of that.

Best wishes and feel better soon.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Go with bland foods. Applesauce always works. Stay away from caffeine (drink herbal tea). And soup, soup, and more soup.

Feel better soon.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I had to resort to endless amounts of noodle soups from our local takeout places.

Worked like a charm.

Also ginger tea, with lemon and honey. Boil some water, add a THICK slice or two of ginger, steep. Add lemon and honey to taste, sip.

Theraflu as well. And sleep.

Feel better soon!

Soba

I was sick for the month of December and feel your pain.

A few survival suggestions: Chamomile and peppermint tea.

When you can't think of eating any more chicken soup, try doctoring it up. Ginger, garlic, extra dill etc. to keep things interesting. Wonton soup is a great change as well.

Make sure you take care of yourself. Hang in there. It is awful and sucks but eventually it does go away.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'm really sorry you got socked.

For the first week or so of my flu in December/January (ended about 2 weeks ago), I ate much less than usual and suffered from nausea. For that, I made chamomile tea and had an order of chicken soup delivered from the Polish diner around my corner or from a local Chinese place (roast chicken noodle soup). Peppermint tea helps with dizziness and is good for upset stomach if you're not really queasy. I didn't have fresh ginger in the house, but you probably know that eating ginger or/and drinking hot water combined with a good helping of ginger juice is good for the stomach.

After that week, I tended to have spicy food a lot, in addition to chicken soup (which I usually seasoned with some Sambal Oelek, an Indonesian hot sauce, or black pepper). I agree with tryska about Rasam. I also had Chili-Onion Uttaphams with extra chilis of the small green variety in addition to the longer dried red peppers, Korean Hot and Spicy Broiled Squid, Moroccan Chicken Tagines with Charmoula and Harissa, etc.

Feel better, and get all the rest you need.

Michael aka "Pan"

Chin up, dear heart. Have yet another cup of tea, and find something on the tube to distract you. Or find a game on the 'net. I found that reading just makes me feel worse when I'm miserable (the whole head hanging down thing), so just find something mindless and space out. And medicate properly.

I have other things that make me feel better, but they are unrelated to food, so I will plead the 5th... :hmmm:

edited for typos

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Ok this is it -- I want my mom! Sad, she is so far away.. over 3000 miles

I know nothing can replace mom's soothing advice and sympathy, but think of us as your virtual mom. You can whine all you want, and we'll understand. (I've been taking care of a sick spouse for a week, I've got lots of practice).

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ok this is it -- I want my mom! Sad, she is so far away.. over 3000 miles

My folks were a lot closer but that only made it easier and less expensive for me to call them; no way in Hell would I have wanted them or any other loved one to get close to me and catch my flu, and at a ~40-minute subway ride, they aren't nearly close enough to shop for me, if I had needed that.

And while I didn't have my father or mother around to cook chicken soup for me, thank goodness, I had delivery!

Sorry about your husband, bloviatrix. :sad:

Michael aka "Pan"