• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chuck E Cheese

Keith Talent

THe only redeeming quality I can see in this place is the large numbers of hot young bored mothers milling about looking for some excitement in thier housewife lives.

I'm happily married, but should that ever change, the next Mrs. Talent comes from the Chuck E Cheese dating pool.

THe only redeeming quality I can see in this place is the large numbers of hot young bored mothers milling about looking for some excitement in thier housewife lives.

I'm happily married, but should that ever change, the next Mrs. Talent comes from the Chuck E Cheese dating pool.

God, that has to be the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Melissa

:wacko:

Last year, my youngest godson demanded -- and got -- a Chuck E. Cheese birthday party. His apprehensive parents rounded up every adult they could possibly hornswoggle into attending, including me. I figured: hey, convenient way to deliver the gift and maybe even socialize a bit with the 'rents, no? I handled the hot and cold running bedlam at lunch at Les Halles in NYC, after all; what's to fear?

Ha.

I lasted 45 minutes. Three deafening, mind-numbing, nose-battering quarters of an hour. Then I handed over the boodle and fled, dodging that mangy six-foot waddling gray beast in the process, and went home feeling so assaulted I stopped off at Whole Foods and picked up a chicken to roast. Went heavy on the wine that evening, too, after I turned off the ringer on the phone.

Gah. I did apologize to my godson's parents at a later date, for abandoning them to the howling mayhem, but...dear God of Wisdom, I'd've started screaming and throwing things and biting people if I'd stayed much longer. Not unlike most of the kids.

:blink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

No teacher in their right mind would ever consider entering a Chuckee Cheese's.

Actually, last year my son's second grade teacher ran a trip to a college planetarium, followed by lunch at.......you guessed it. And she was probably in her right mind, because the trip was at the end of the year, as a reward for good behavior. And she asked for parent volunteers (I ate before I went). It turns out that second graders, at least ours, are already too old for the place. Except for a few decent video racing games, there just wasn't that much for them to do.

I'm a hardened veteran of many loud ,obnoxious places to take kids: boardwalk arcades, rollerskating rinks(with video games, of course) county fairs, crappy concerts,circuses,etc. It toughens you up. I'm finally out of that stage with my daughter, but now she's starting to sing out in bars ! Much, much better :laugh: .

Yeah, it's evil, but it's a damn effective behavioural modification tool. "Next kid to whine doesn't get to see the rat."

Plus it's funny in that kids of a certain age don't quite savvy the association between a giant rat and lousy pizza. My daughters who are 3 1/2 still talk about how the rat restaurant was pretty fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh. I was just about to post that same link.

I love this quote:

"Chuck E. Cheese isn't the type of place where adults go for drinks," he added. "There is a segment of customers who like to have a glass of wine with their meal, but it's not the focus of our business."

amanda

Googlista

Kind of depressing, but well written and interesting. From a newish feature in my newspaper called Tag Team Fiction.

The Incident at Chuck E. Cheese

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

A mouse? A six foot tall mouse? No way, that's a rat. I studied biology in high school, and I can say for ceratin that mice do not get to be six feet tall. It's a rat.

What, rats do get to be six feet tall? It's a mouse. A huge, mutant mouse who, like the mice in all the old nursery rhymes, loves cheese.

Hell yes there are six foot rats. Witness my exhusband.

Edit to add, I'm with fifi. My sprouts were brought up on a real pizza place after movies or roller skating. If I were coerced into C.E.C. by some evil plot, I would even consider drinking ratwine! You all have my dearest sympathies!!Thank God for menopause!!

Edited by Mabelline (log)