• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] re-tinning copper pots?

I just inherited an old but sexy set of copper pots that are badly in need of re-tinning. does anyone know a place in PDX that could re tin them for me? how much does re-tinning cost? i've noticed that newer copper cookware has a stainless-steel lining instead of tin. is it possible to have s.s. replace the aged and worn out tin?

thanks

Edited by markovitch (log)

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

• 10 months later...

well, its been nearly a year, but i finally got them done.

I used ORegon Retinners, at Tully's suggestion, and i am happy with the results, even though it took twice as long as they originally promised.

The retinner told me that he's never seen pots this old: the handles were sand-cast, which is NEVER done anymore (he says) except in North Africa. He also said there was a really high lead content in the old tin. I'm glad I never used them!

The pictures were artfully arranged and snapped by my artist in residence, vance feldman <http://www.clawch.com>

tn_gallery_13259_505_1103840494.jpg41266.jpgtn_gallery_13259_505_1103841227.jpg

the rest are in my one and only imagegullet album.

Alas, I have not had a chance to cook with them for I am visiting friends and family far from my kitchen. at least I have something to look forward to upon my return!

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog