• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GroundHog Day at the Grey Lodge

Rich Pawlak

I love the promotions that come from this place, my local beer hangout of choice.

This is an excerpt from the bar's website, one of the most entertaining beer sites anywhere:

<<"Groundhog Day/Lucky Cat Night"

Monday February 2nd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will once again be chasing away the winter blues on Groundhog's Day with a day long Hawaiian Shirt Island Party on Monday, February 2nd.

We will start things off at bright and very early at 7am with a Groundhog's Day Beer Breakfast. Catch Punxatowney Phil on our four TVs while enjoying some amazing beers and a free breakfast. At 7am, we will have on tap a sixtel of TROEGS MAD ELF, a sixtel of DOGFISH HEAD FESTINA LENTE PEACH LAMBIC, a 1/2 barrel FLYING FISH COFFEE PORTER, a 1/2 barrel of SLY FOX DUNKEL WEISSE, a 1/2 barrel of BREWERS ART LA PETROLEUSE, and last barrel of the 2003 batch of YARDS SAISON. We will have orange juice on hand to make Saison mimosas. The Mad Elf and Festina Lente will go fast, so make it in at 7am to make sure you get some. I'm sure you will agree that's a line-up worth showing up at the crack of dawn for.

Also due at 7am is KING GROUNDHOG. The King is a Northeast Philadelphia native. His website is http://www.kinggroundhog.com

At 8:30am we will have a contest for the best/worst Hawaiian Shirt. There will be prizes. And FREE LEIS ALL DAY!

Later that day at 7pm, "Wissinoming Winnie", with the help of her "Inner Circle", will make her Beer Prognistication. Like Punxatowney Phil, Wissinoming Winnie - the Grey Lodge's Lucky Cat - is a prognosticator. Instead prognosticating weather (ho hum), she prognisticates BEER! She will determine if there will be 6 more weeks of winter seasonal beers or if the spring seasonals will be early this year.

Immediately after Winnie's Prognostication, PAIN RELEIVAZ will bust some mad rhymes at the GLP. Pain Releivaz are D.J. LIL Guy (Bryan Selders, Dogfish Head Lead Brewer) and Grandmaster I.B.U. (Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head President). They will also be bringing with them a cask of DOGFISH HEAD 90 MINUTE IPA. >>>

You can't imagine the crowd that shows up at 7AM. The crowd is almost as much fun as the one that shows up for the bar's annual "Friday the Firkinteenth" celebrations. More on THAT event THIS February 13th, a Friday), in another post. Of course, I have no financial or other interest in this or any event at the Grey Lodge. It's just a damn hoot of a place.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"