• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Gus Burger

Varmint

But how did they miss the White Spot's other specialty: the Grillswith. Glazed donut fried up on the grill until almost melting, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you are watching the calories, or lactose intolerant, you can have a Grillswithout - same gooey donut, no ice cream. Mmmm. Also needs to be after last call to be willing to try this.

I've had many a Gusburger, but never during daylight or when sober. Unfortunately, last time I dropped by the White Spot, Elvis had left the building.

If you're ever back in Charlottesville, go to Riverside Lunch for a bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions. Beats the Gusburger hands down.

I have only fond memories of the Gus Burger, which I always believed were not to be consumed during normal eating hours. I will be in Charlottesville this Summer with the family, and I have decided my ten-year-old must experience the pleasures of the White Spot, complete with the obligatory story on the origin of its name. I do not know how it will taste during the day. Do I understand that you can now get a Grillswith @ the Spot? That formerly required a short stroll to the now defunct University Diner.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe