• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate NY Burgers

GordonCooks

In Rochester, we have

Schaller's - Good Burgers on hard rolls, hand cut onion rings, good hot sauce.

Charlie's - A Charlie Burger is a dressed burger with provolone and really good hot sauce.

LDR Charpit - Old place by the lake - best hot sauce and pickles in town.

Sullivans - Hand cut curly fries !

Nick Tahou's - Home of the garbage plate and one of the best hot sauces around.

Maybe it is because I'm generally pretty hungry at the time, but I tend to enjoy the burgers at Gore Mountain's base lodge. Otherwise I tend not to order burgers when I'm out. I enjoy grilling them at home, though.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Pines Burger from the Pines (Glenwood Pines officially) just north of Ithaca:

Pines-Burger.jpg

Good sized rectangular burger, rectangular roll, thousand island dressing, etc.

Then again, if I'm there on Friday, I'm going for their foot long chili dog:

Pines-ChiliDog.jpg

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Your Rochester list should also include Bill Gray's and Vic and Irv.

Although Charlie's is my favorite because of the hot sauce. I had one for lunch on Christmas Eve as soon as I arrived in Rochester. Its the one thing I haven't found in NYC.

Oh man, Holly. You've just reminded me of a place I had completely forgotten about. Those guys were masters of the deep fryer.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Holly beat me to it. I rarely if ever order burgers when dining out but I lived in Ithaca for several years and my coworkers (who were all locals) raved about the burgers at Glenwood Pines. They also raved about the pizza at The Nines in College Town but I never tried it. I think they were just wowed by the fact that it comes up the bar from the kitchen on a special little pizza dumbwaiter.

Here in Syracuse I'm told that Riley's restaurant on Park Street has amazing burgers. The fact is that their other food is so consistently good and moderately priced that I never tought about ordering the burger.