• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans

hjshorter

Scott and I are considering a trip back to his hometown. We haven't been to NOLA since before we were married.

Is New Orleans a good place to visit with kids? We'd most likely stay in our friend's B&B uptown (Coliseum St). We know about the zoo and aquarium - any more kid friendly stuff to do? What about kid-friendly restaurants? Scott's main hangout was Checkpoint Charlie's, but we're not taking our toddlers there. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Tons to do with kids, but many of the reccomendations have to do with the time of year you are thinking about coming. Do you have a rough idea (or even better, a specific one)?

Checkpoint is right around the corner from my wife's families place on Royal St. You can do your laundry and get all liquored up. Truly a great place. Actually, I don't know how long it has been since you have been around, but the whole area down Frenchman St. has really become a happening part of town in the last few years. Lots of good places to eat (Mona's, Santa Fe, Praline Connection, Neat new sushi place filled with the hipster crowd that I can never remember the name of, etc.) and lots of music joints.

That Laundry and drinking thing used to be more common in New Orleans, now I can just think of a couple more besides Checkpoint Charlie's (Igor's on St Charles across from the Pontchatrain). I used to do my laundry at the Maple Leaf before they pulled out the machines. That, sadly for both me and thirsty people with dirty clothes, was a very long time ago.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Riding the streetcar down to Canal Street always thrills kids. Just don't try to go at rush hour. Then you can go to the aquarium, go et them run around on the levee and look at the big boats. Chasing the pigeons aroung in the square in front of the cathedral makes for some good pictures.

You might want to think of having this thread moved to Louisiana. You will probably get more hits.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Heather,

I am going to compile a reasonable list and include some dates and stuff. A ouple of questions though.....will you have a car or do you want to avoid one?

I can't spend any time on this tonight as I am cleaning my humble, but very large and tiresome to clean by myself, abode. Mrs. Mayhaw will be returning from her Mom's with my boys (and a couple of ice chests full of venison and a very few ducks) and in the interest of marital bliss I will need to have this place looking something like she left it. :shock::laugh:

I will work on this Tuesday. At work. When I have plenty of time. :hmmm::raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

definitely go to the aquarium. i think they even have an imax thing IIRC.

the riverboat is always fun, although they can take a few hours. but you can go down to the engine room, and i've seen plenty of kids enjoying themselves.

and don't be afraid of a horse and buggy ride. i can't imagine kids not liking that, and, if you're nice to the horse guy, he'll let you run in to that bar, which is the oldest bar, like, in the world, on the way (i forget the name).

maybe they'll like a cemetary tour? i sure did. :unsure:

edit: oh yeah, fifi suggests a streetcar ride. if it's the one i'm thinking of, it goes past the "real world" house, which looked like a haunted house last i was there, and it goes up to that diner place with the good burgers (i forget the name). that would be a nice trip for a kid-friendly lunch.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'd like to avoid a car, but with little ones we will probably rent one - too much gear to take along. :smile: The last time we took the streetcar and bus everywhere we wanted to go.

My main concern is avoiding the dates with maximum tourist potential. No Carnival, no Jazzfest, etc. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 1 month later...