• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: eGullet Pasta Feast

Varmint

I'll make dessert and will bring wine to go with. Should I stick to traditional Italian or do something more contemporary? Requests/ideas welcomed; I'll also look into munchies/apps and finalize my choice(s) neExt week.

I'm up for Magnolia Grill as well on the 6th.

My home computer is sick, so I'm without access over the weekend. Have a good one, everybody!

Any desserts and apps should be fairly light, simply because the dinner could be fairly heavy. Traditional? Nah, do what you want.

Erin, you can use my kitchen (or my in-laws') all day if you need.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hi all,

Just a confirmation that Varmint is correct on the Weka +1 and the dish listed. See you all there.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

I was under the impression that dough will be made at Varmint's (or inlaws) house, and all who are participating bring their sauces/fillings either partially or totally made. Varmint, am I wrong on this?

Scottie, I'd say the bitter greens may be a better approach. That's a flavor we don't currently have and would be a good contrast.

We will likely have quite a few folks -- I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 20. But remember, we're doing portions that would be about 1/4 of what we'd serve for an entree. So, even if we have 20, each person would be working as if they were making a main course for 5 or 6. Much more reasonable that way.

The non-eGullet people will be responsible for wine. And I said, no pinot grigio. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Bitter greens it is. What do you all think about...gnocchi?

Have you given any thought to time of arrival and estimated time of dining?

And hey, have you made it back from Baltimore all right, Varmint? Things is mighty snowy around here!

I think my wife and I would go to Magnolia Grill on the 6th if that's the way it works out.

btw...does anyone else appreciate the irony of a 'Pasta Feast' at this moment in time? Everywhere else I turn it's "Atkins Friendly", "Low Carb", "South Beach Diet" etc., but not here. :smile:

Edited by Random Alias (log)

I must admit that this dinner will be an exception...I try and stay away from refined foods: flour, sugar, corn syrup, etc. I can't wait for the treat!

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Bitter greens it is. What do you all think about...gnocchi?

Have you given any thought to time of arrival and estimated time of dining?

And hey, have you made it back from Baltimore all right, Varmint? Things is mighty snowy around here!

Gnocchi? Sounds great, but that might push us over the top when we think of the total density of food in our stomachs!

The estimated time of arrival is dependent on how much prep time you'll need to get your dish going. I can be there as early as need be! If I haven't mentioned this previously, I'll say it now (or repeat myself, as the case may be): we'll be doing this at my in-laws, where the only downside is a ridiculous lack of water pressure.

I'll have one huge stock pot that we'll keep boiling, cooking the pasta in that and fishing it out as needed. We can get a second pot going as well. That'll leave 4 burners to do other work. My mother-in-law has a 36 inch Dacor range with electric oven, a good-sized Gaggenau wall oven (30"?), and a smallish tile-lined bread oven. Thus, if anyone wants to bake bread on site . . . .

Edemuth, what do you have in mind for dessert?

We need to finalize and sequence these dishes so we can get good wine pairings. Thus, feel free to add some more details here.

We should come up with a couple of other antipasti -- light stuff.

Oh, and I'm back in Raleigh. I had to spend an extra night south of Richmond, and the normal 2-1/2 hour drive from there took over 4 hours, but it wasn't too bad.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I will not be able to go to Magnolia Grill on the 6th due to some family commitments. Bummer. RA and edemuth, I’ll leave it up to y’all to make arrangements, but you should do this ASAP. The place fills up quickly.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

S'ok about Magnolia Grill... I'm just as happy to spend the evening with family and wait 'til we get more of a critical eG mass. It wouldn't be the same without Varmint anyhow!

As an alternative, I was thinking of picking up some good barbecue for us on the way down from DC (95/85/55/147/55). Any suggestions? Varmint, I loved your 'cue report from the scouting trip with Fat Guy and Ellen, but I have no idea if I'll be near any of those places. (I don't mind driving a bit out of the way.)

For a light dessert, how about poached pears?

Erin

I'm making Spaghetti with calamari, chiles and bottarga.

Erin, what shall we serve with the poached pears? Biscotti? Gelato?

There's not a lot of great barbecue along the way, but I might suggest you go past Durham on 85 to Hillsborough, take the NC-86 exit towards Chapel Hill, and hit Allen & Son. That' some good stuff.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

phlawless +1 -- Beef Cheek Ravioli in Brodo + bagna cauda

weka +1 -- Tagliatelle with truffle and porcini

Varmint +1 -- Spaghetti with calamari, chiles and bottarga

scottie +1 -- a bitter green pasta

Random Alias +1 -- Duck Ragout w/ Toasted Penne

Edemuth -- dessert

We need to sequence these. I'm thinking that we start with the bitter greens pasta, then the seafood spaghetti, the beef cheek soup, the duck ragout and then the porcini/truffle. I'm trying to think of apps and wine pairings, too. Phlawless is bringing bagna cauda. Anyone have access to some good salumi?

Al Dente??? You coming?

Looks like we'll have 18 people. My mother-in-law will make sorbet or gelato to go with the poached pears, if desired. Erin, let me know what you're doing. We can also do biscotti, but again, we need to know what your poaching liquid will be.

I'll send each of you directions to my in-laws' later this week. I'll be there most of the afternoon, although there really isn't much serious prep work to do. However, the kitchen is yours to use for most of the day.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Aglio e olio with Broccoli Rabe, Asiago and Toasted Pine Nuts. Maybe a dash of crushed red pepper.

Not too sure about the pasta yet- rhombi, maybe?

I must admit, I'm a little afraid of making fresh pasta... :huh: I was supposed to get a lesson today, but my friend flaked out.

I promise to practice at least once before the big event! :biggrin:

Scottie-

If you think fresh pasta is what you need, don't worry about making it. We'll be making lots of fresh stuff in advance. We just need to know what thickness of sheets you'd want and the type of texture. We can go from there!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Great. Not too thick, but with some bite. I don't think it needs a very textured surface, as the sauce will cling no matter what because it's essentially olive oil.

Actually, I'm not sure I *need* fresh pasta. Somehow I thought it was a requirement! :wacko: But if there's plenty around, then why not.

What do you think about having crumbled pancetta on top? Are there going to be any vegetarians who might appreciate a totally meatless dish? Maybe everyone would appreciate having one dish sans meat.

I was thinking about making amaretti to go with the pears anyway, so I'd be happy to make biscotti (and gelato as well--I have an ice cream maker). Just wanted to make sure the poached-pear idea was a go before I started accessorizing. :smile: For a wine pairing idea, what about prosecco? I wish we could have some of gualojote's special brew to go with the biscotti...

I can stop by the Italian Store (good deli selection) en route to pick up salumi or other antipasti items. What would you like me to get?

Edited by edemuth (log)
Erin

Why don't you let my mother-in-law make the gelato/sorbet, as she has a fancy schmancy ice cream maker. Plus, she can keep the stuff in the freezer. What should she make?

As far as salumi is concerned, whatever looks good, of course!

We'll have about 18 folks. Bill Klapp is coming. :smile: Al Dente is not. :sad:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Same broken record here, but gosh I wish I could be a part of this lovely gathering. Wee emmers, your pasta contributions sound yummy. And Dean, Mrs. Varmint has very fine taste, pancetta or not! :raz:

Will this be a photographed event of happy smiling eG'ers with the glow of having enjoyed good food and drink?

I'll be thinking of the fun y'all will be having and perhaps break my reduced carb intake and splurge on a pasta dish tomorrow, myself, in "like" celebration.

Aperitifs?

Hmmm. Make scottie make these. She's good at it, that I am very sure of!

Well, I'll list the obvious classic Campari sorts to pick and choose from:

Americano

1 ounce Campari

1 ounce Red Sweet Vermouth

Combine in an old fashioned glass (9 ounce solo cup??? will do as well for the sake of ease!) and garnish with a twist of both lemon and orange.

Negroni

equal parts of gin, sweet vermouth and Campari

How lethal? How big will the glasses/cups be? These tend to be one ounce pours of each, but can be scaled to 1/2 to 3/4 ounce each without any sacrifice to taste so long as you garnish with lemon zest and the "glassware" is close to in size of a old fashioned. (small solo cups are about 9 ounces???)

Not sure what your liquor options will be here are two other Campari concoctions:

Old Pal

1 ounce Rye or Bourbon

3/4 ounce Dry Vermouth

3/4 ounce Campari

Chill, shake and strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.

Jasmine

1 1/2 ounces Gin

1 ounce Cointreau

3/4 ounce Campari

a healthy lemon squeeze for fresh lemon juice

Chill, shake and strain into a cocktail glass.

Champagne Flamingo (or Prosecco, or Sparkling Wine)

3/4 ounce Vodka

3/4 ounce Campari

Chill, shake and strain into a champagne flute and top with Champagne/bubbly of choice. Garnish with a zest of orange.

Anyone say bubbly?

What about the newest POM Wonderful craze sweeping the US?

Tintoretto (source: courtesy Walter Bolzonella of Hotel Cipriani)

1/3 pomegranate juice

2/3 Prosecco

I hope some of this helps!

edit: measurement oversight/sloppy proof reading/typo

Take your pick! :blink:

Edited by beans (log)

Americano

1 ounce Campari

1 ounce Red Sweet Vermouth

Combine in an old fashioned glass (9 ounce solo cup??? will do as well for the sake of ease!) and garnish with a twist of both lemon and orange.

I think you forgot to include that you put the Campari and sweet vermouth on ice and top with soda water?

regards,

trillium