• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finally made creme fraiche but....

CRUZMISL

Hello, new to the board, but I thought I might try a hand at your question.

Creme fraiche goes with so many things. IMO, it helps lighten up food or a plate that may be a little on the heavier side.

You can use it as a garnish for some thick cold weather soups such as butternut squash, tomato bisque, or any other type of soup that is on the thick side. You can also add some horseradish to it and use it for fishes that have a some fat content such as salmon. Add some herbs like basil (julienned or pureed) and use it as a garnish for some vegetables (ratatouille), or mint with some lamb.

Just some ideas.

Robert

you can sweeten it and whip it like heavy cream and make a topping for a dessert

you can add corn syrup, orange zest, sugar and spin it in an ice cream machine for a great creme fraiche sherbet

can you tell i mostly post on the pastry board?!

any ideas on what I can do with it? Probably the easiest thing I've made since kindergarten :) How long does it last? A few weeks?

Thanks,

Joe

How did you make it? I've done it before by adding buttermilk to cream and letting sit out, but I hear this is actually poor imitation of real creme fraiche. How do you make the real thing? A certain culture?

Chris Sadler

I use it instead of sour cream when making omlettes. I also spread it on toast with a little bit of sugar in the morning. The warm toast and cold creme fraiche are amazing together. If it was the summer I would suggest making berries and cream, or using it instead of whipped cream on strawberry shortcake. Only 5 months to go....

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

On biscuits, scones or popovers...with strawberry or raspberry jam.

In a cream sauce which is going in the freezer (it doesn't curdle).

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

It works great as a final touch to many sauces in place of cream. Even added to a vin blanc or beurre blanc just before serving will add a needed touch of acidity. That's essentially what's great about creme fraiche, that tangy acidity. One of the best ways to make sure it'll keep longer is to let it sit out in a glass container that you've washed out with hot water and a little lemon juice.

I love it on apple tarte tatin - unsweetened, it adds a delicious creamy and tangy (again) counterpoint.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

With a spoon. All day long. Best stuff ever.

I like it with a touch of sugar and the inside of a fresh vanilla bean. Cooked gently and infused with vanilla goodness, it's a miracle over berries. It's also great to add depth and mouth-feel to flat sauces. Really, I can go on and on about it. Use it all the time with everything.

R. Jason Coulston

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com