• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cheesecake in Texas?

Richard Kilgore

Tonight a friend mentioned that he doesn't know where to find New York style cheesecake in the Dallas area. I decided to bring his quest here, but to open it up to the best cheesecakes in the state of whatever style your heart desires. I have had a pumpkin cheesecake during the holidays as had my friend, commercially made and pretty good, but I had to agree with him that it was a different breed of cheesecake than New York style; it was airy and light compared to that dense, dense NY style that I used to drive 20 minutes through the swampy woods to get at the Lakawana Diner in Morristown, New Jersey many years ago.

So, whate's your favorite and where can we find it?

Please don't hurt me.

My all time favorite cheesecake is Central Market's chocolate mousse cheesecake. It makes me very happy. It's so good, it takes me about three days to finish a whole piece. (And I mean that as a compliment.)

There's just one small hitch.... :unsure:

It's embarrassing.... :unsure::unsure:

On my last trip to Austin :unsure: I asked the CM folks :blink::unsure: about the source of the cheesecake.

I shouldn't have.

It's, um, it's made by Cheesecake Factory. :blink:

Four out of five tasters agree. The fifth one dissents on principle.

amanda

Googlista

Hey there'snothing wrong with that. If it makes you that happy then enjoy it!!

One of my favorites is the plain cheesecake at House of Pies in Houston. The other is the one I make at home :smile: .

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

It is so worth it to make your own. I gave up ordering cheesecake out even in NY/NJ where I grew up because it was often substandard. Once I made my own I can't fathom ordering it out. You just never know how long it has been refrigerated and if you get a piece with that "refrigerator flavor"...well, :angry:

The Cheesecake Factory makes respectable New York-style cheesecakes in several varieties. Without a particularly good locally based supplier, and without time or facilities to make my own, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Cheesecake Factory cheesecake.

Is anybody familiar with the New York, Texas, Cheesecake Company?

http://www.nytxccc.com/

Seems promising.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks, Steven. The address on the website for the New York, Texas Cheese Cake Company is in Athens, which is not far from the DFW area. Might be worth a little road trip for my friend.

...that dense, dense NY style that I used to drive 20 minutes through the swampy woods to get at the Lakawana Diner in Morristown, New Jersey many years ago.

Hey Richard,

What the heck were you doing driving through the wilds of Motown (my old haunt!!!) to get to diners?

If you play nice, we could have some of that great NJ sort of cheesecake at the Austin Turkish pot luck... (You can take the girl out of NJ, but you can't take the NJ out of the girl...) :biggrin:

Fitz

An odd alien wench

Yes, Fitz, I am indeed a world traveler. More on the 17th if I get a slice of cheesecake. Turkish cheesecake?

We'll hold you to that. Right now, I've got a pretty good idea as to what would make an otherwise damn fine cheesecake masquerade as a Turkish one... :biggrin:

An odd alien wench