• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"I'd walk a mile for..."

fresco

The Washington Post has rounded up some of the world's most exotic food festivals, including Iceland's Thorrablot Festival, where diners are served ram's testicles, rotted shark meat and other delicacies, washed down with a vile sounding alcoholic concoction called "Black Death." Bonus: it's in February.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/trav...foodfest14.html

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Hey, from what I remember from geography class, Iceland isn't so bad -- thermal springs and volcanoes and all that. Oh wait, you mean where Bjork is from . . . :hmmm: you might be right.

Even though I thought the Vermont Chili Festival was kind of strange, I actually enjoyed it. Especially the stand decorated with a miniature, um, loo: the entrant called his "Next Day Chili." (The winner goes on to represent the state at a national championship.)

Oct. 14-22, Phuket, Thailand: Phuket Vegetarian Festival. During a 10-day period of a vegetarian diet only, men pierce their tongues with metal rods, sprint across red-hot charcoals and climb ladders with rungs of blades, all to purify themselves and ask for mercy from the gods.

Proof that not eating meat will drive you crazy.

Montana has got a testicle festival. You give a bunch of cowboys some time and the'll think up something to promote the state's image :rolleyes:

Have you attended? Sure sounds like an event that people would find fascinating to read about.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

No, not up to now. But I've been considering going. We have another get together in the end of the year like Pamplona, but we use sheep. And some of them are wearing bandanas. Like I said, give them boys some time. Did I also mention we have a lot of small breweries, too? :biggrin:

Great thread.

And I thought the Baby Food Festival in nearby Fremont, MI (home of Gerber), was odd.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

While we here in Louisiana have a festival for damn near everything but snowmobiles, our neighbors to the North have outdone us with this odd and entertaining combination.. I have not attended (although I really am gonna if I can ever remember, but I did order a fabulously sylish t-shirt from last years event.

As far as the variety of Louisiana Festivals go this site is free and this one, belonging to my friend Hulie, is not. But I reccomend ordering the calender as a great piece of wall art as well as an informational guide to the wonders of the Sportsman's Paradise. Julie Posner also co-wrote the irreplacable "Cajun Country Guide" along with Macon Frye.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Evidently there are many testicle festivals around the US.  Here is a list, from a website called (ahem) chicktrip.com ("travel for women and their friends.")

This, my friends, is what made America great

Oh, it just hurts to read them.

I will never be that hungry. Ever.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Okayyy then- I knew about Cinton and Fromberg, but did not realize Montana is literally awash in testical festivals! Kinda creeps ya out. Ooh, I know about saw palmettos, and like them very much.

Saw palmetto isn't the same as swamp cabbage. Robyn

Evidently there are many testicle festivals around the US.  Here is a list, from a website called (ahem) chicktrip.com ("travel for women and their friends.")

This, my friends, is what made America great

Oh, it just hurts to read them.

I will never be get that hungry. Ever.

Scratch one idea for the July DDC...

I noticed that the article linked in the original post gave Singapore as the location of the Moon Festival, but that really is a pan-Chinese festival, as many of you know.

Michael aka "Pan"

Wow I stand corrected. I wuz lied to, and I lapped it up like a dawg! What should I really look for?

Swamp cabbage is hearts of palm (actually comes from a palm tree - the sabal palm - which is the state tree of Florida). Robyn

In my experience, hearts of palm are from the center of the trunks of coconut palms, and you have to kill the palm tree to get at those hearts. I've never before heard of any other palm tree being used, but the canned hearts of palm I've eaten taste exactly like hearts of coconut palm I've eaten fresh in Malaysia when palm trees had to be chopped down or had snapped in a rainstorm. Do the sabal trees produce any edible fruit or nut and do they grow quickly enough for it to be cost-effective to kill lots of them yearly in palm-heart production?

Michael aka "Pan"

In my experience, hearts of palm are from the center of the trunks of coconut palms, and you have to kill the palm tree to get at those hearts. I've never before heard of any other palm tree being used, but the canned hearts of palm I've eaten taste exactly like hearts of coconut palm I've eaten fresh in Malaysia when palm trees had to be chopped down or had snapped in a rainstorm. Do the sabal trees produce any edible fruit or nut and do they grow quickly enough for it to be cost-effective to kill lots of them yearly in palm-heart production?

The harvest of hearts of palm is actually a really big issue in deforestation -- globally, but especially in the Amazon. Since it's a fairly upmarket product, multinationals leapt into the game, competing for palm stands in developing countries. Sort of like the worst of the logging companies, the big corps have for the most part made no attempt to replace what they've harvested. Can we say "bottom line"?

Because the traditional method of harvest is simply cutting the tree down, big problems have resulted. Fewer trees means diminishing habitat for lots of little critters, which means a harder life for the bigger critters that feed on them, and so on. Also, local residents rely on the palm trees for much more than food -- they utilize the fibers, palm oil, fruit, etc. You wouldn't think that something as innocuous as a novel salad ingredient could cause such biodiversity nightmares, but it does.

There's a fairly new movement to harvest hearts of palm sustainably. Right now this means a couple things. It could mean that growers replace trees they cut down. They're also planting varieties of palm that mature in as little as 2 years, which means that replacement trees aren't a generation away.

But they're also using new growing methods that encourage a tree to grow shoots -- sort of like bamboo shoots. The shoots are harvested and the tree stays put.

Just a little palm trivia for you. Next time you pick up a can, you might want to see if it claims to be harvested sustainably. If not, maybe plant a couple of palm trees....

Here's a link to an interesting article on the shoot harvesting. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2214383.stm

amanda

Googlista