• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winter Beers in the Snow

Rich Pawlak

Grabbed another beer out of the 2003 Christmas Mix, and this time it was Otter Creek Alpine Ale, from Otter Creek Brewing in Middelbury, VT. Billed on the label as an "apres ski" beer, it was nice and dark when poured, with a tan head trhat dissipated very quickly. Stinky nose, nothing that would indicate the bold beer in the glass. Made with four different kinds of hops (they don't list them), it is surely a hoppy brew, with nice traces of molasses and caramel to balance those hops out. Actually a vbery nice beer, warming, with more nut and caramel notes as the beer warms. Good choice for the Xmas Mix, Lew!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My first selection from the Christmas Mix was the Abita Christmas Ale. It's the second beer from Abita I've had (Turbo Dog was the other) and both have disappointed me. I read somewhere that Abita doesn't "travel well" and maybe this is true, as evidenced by the soapy taste of the beer. Oh well, not every one can be a winner. I made up for it by drinking a Wild Goose Snow Goose, which was very good.

An old favorite, Penn St Nikolaus, is next.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
My first selection from the Christmas Mix was the Abita Christmas Ale. It's the second beer from Abita I've had (Turbo Dog was the other) and both have disappointed me. I read somewhere that Abita doesn't "travel well" and maybe this is true, as evidenced by the soapy taste of the beer. Oh well, not every one can be a winner. I made up for it by drinking a Wild Goose Snow Goose, which was very good.

An old favorite, Penn St Nikolaus, is next.

I had to pop my bottle of Abita Christmas Ale, too, John, and I also found it a bit lacking. Pretty thin for a winter beer, and it struck me like a watered down ESB, with some malt, but not enough, a little hop tang, but not enough, a little caramel, but not enough. I feel cheated.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I did however get to grab a pint of Appalachian Grinnin Grizzly, from Appalachian Brewing Co, Harrisburg, PA, last night at the Grey Lodge Public House in Philly. Big fruity nose on this winter ale, lotsa ripe pear and orange in the nose, and a very nice subtle hint of cinnamon and ginger and nutmeg in the first few sips, and a bit of that orange in the finish. A very very nice winter beer, with lots of layers of flavor in each and every sip. Another stunning beer from Appalachian.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Keep this beer stuff coming. It's great.

I've never been one to appreciate the finer tasting points of beer, I either liked it or I didn't but this thread is definitely helping me distinguish the characteristics of beer I enjoy from those that I don't particularly care for.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Hi everyone and thanks again to Rich and Lew for assembling an awesome international array of winter brews! My favorite of the Christmas Mix has been Troegs Mad Elf. This plays to my likeness for sweeter things, a framboise lambic being my favorite thing on a summer day. Trogs was rich in honey and dried cherry, so even a non sugar buff would enjoy. If I wasn't busy making Knob Creek Egg Nog (Knob nog for short) on Xmas eve, I would've sought out a case of this.

If I only had a brain, I would have separated the 'bottle conditioned' brews and saved them for awhile. My significant other was serving up to friends and I think they're all gone. Anyone saving them? I might get my hands on a few more and have one now, analyze, and save the others for 3 months or so and compare. Rich, what are the best aging conditions for bottle maturation? Also, I might like to put myself down for 2 cases next year, so I don't freak out when bottles are shared with company!

Edited for spelling

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Hi everyone and thanks again to Rich and Lew for assembling an awesome internatinal array of winter brews! My favorite of the Christmas Mix has been Troegs Mad Elf. This plays to my likeness for sweeter things, a framboise lambic being my favorite thing on a summer day. Trogs was rich in honey and dried cherry, so even a non sugar buff would enjoy. If I wasn't busy making Knob Creek Egg Nog (Knob nog for short) on Xmas eve, I would've sought out a case of this.

If I only had a brain, I would have separated the 'bottle conditioned' brews and saved them for awhile. My significant other was serving up to friends and I think they're all gone. Anyone saving them? I might get my hands on a few more and have one now, analyze, and save the others for 3 months or so and compare. Rich, what are the best aging conditions for bottle maturation? Also, I might like to put myself down for 2 cases next year, so I don't freak out when bottles are shared with company!

I'll trade you my Victory Old Horizontal for some cheese :smile:

BTW, thanks for bringing the cheese to the GLP.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I'll trade you my Victory Old Horizontal for some cheese  :smile:

BTW, thanks for bringing the cheese to the GLP.

You're welcome! I knew a fully stinky artisanal American cheese would be loved by all. To recap it was Hooligan from Cato Corner Farm in Connecticut. It was a raw cow's milk, soft ripened, buttermilk washed, stink meister.

sterb031.gif

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Lasty night I had Heavy Seas Winter Storm "Category 5" Ale. From Clipper City Brewing CO. In Maryland. Wow! It tasted as if it were scented with Rose Water, which I love. It was pretty dark, too. No info on the label about what's in it. This is the first crossover ale that I would drink in the summer.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky