• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili Variety

Cusina

Sometimes, if I don't have enough left to make a decent meal, I'll dump it over pasta.

Isn't that the classic "Cincinatti Chili?"

I usually just go through the cabinets and see what's lying around and what kind of mood I'm in...

I always start with cubed steak, usually a chuck or something with a little fat to it.

We live in a Latin neighborhood, so there's and endless variety of fresh and dried peppers, and we always pour in lots of beer and tomatoe paste and red beans.

Once we get it fire-y hot, sometimes I put in something aromatic, just to add a little depth: cinnamon or cardamum, a little sugar, cilantro (leaves), maybe a little garam masala.

Cornbread on the side, grated chees and crema centroamericano for toppings.

And when we get to the end of the batch, it's time for the world's best chili dogs, buns roasted on the side, thank you.

Edited to add Cincinnati Chili recipe. Note the tip at the bottom.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

When the missus and I were first dating I made a chili without beans. You would have thought I had told her that her outfit made her look fat! She took it personally. She's a woman who likes her beans.

So over the years I have created a chili which keeps her happy -- coursely ground chuck, chipotle chiles in adoba, garlic, lots of onion, red beans (Magnolia brand? The ones I have friends bring me from New Orleans), hominy, diced tomatoes, beer, and often times sliced button mushrooms. I like it heavy on the spices. My wife is very fond of the hominy, and complains if I omit it, too. Otherwise, she isn't very demanding.

And I like to serve it over a base of stiff garlicy polenta, garnished with chopped scallions and cilantro. (I'm way too lazy to make tamales, but this goves me a close approximation. Possibly the only way I've succombed to "Rachel Ray-itis".)

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"