• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kindness of Strangers

Carolyn Tillie

Thanksgiving Day is over - the kitchen is clean - the leftovers are tucked away for a week's worth of savory eating. I'm not a newspaper reader so I don't bother with the circulars that tell of this amazing sale or that stupendous deal but as everyone else is napping, I do log into e-mail and eGullet before heading to bed.

I'm surprised when a nice penpal companion about 75 miles away sends out a notice that there is a deal to be had at Home Depot - a 47-bottle wine cooler that normally runs over $300 on sale for $139.

For some reason, I wake up early on Friday morning and think, "yes, that would be a lovely X-mas gift for Shawn." We've been collecting a lot of rather nice bottles and not storing them in an optimum setting so here was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. As I was dressed and almost out the door, Shawn woke up and I confessed my mission (I'm terrible with surprises). He quickly donned his winter gear as we headed to the store.

We were lucky - there were four left. Only when we got to the car did we realize that it was going to be a struggle to fit this fridge in our small car. Opening the trunk, that option was quickly dismissed. Shawn was measuring the dimensions on the front door, thinking he could get it in there as I was calling my sister, to enlist the aid of her SUV. I convinced Shawn to give up trying to fit it in our car, as my sister was on her way over.

But, while standing in the drizzling rain for fifteen minutes, no less than three different folks with large pick-up trucks, ask if we needed help. "How far do you live?" One man asked, offering his flatbed. Another, "I'm happy to help you deliver that to your house, if you're close by!" Assuring these kind samaritans that help was on the way, I was warmed by the offerings made by strangers. Maybe it was the fact that we were buying a wine fridge - would they have been so giving if we were standing there with a powersaw?

I'm beginning to think so - the goodwill of the holidays changes people, which surprised me. Something like this had never happened to me before and it makes me more inclined to extend the kindness myself, if I see someone in need.

Cheers - and happy holidays, everyone!

Carolyn: I have so often been amazed by the kindness of strangers and not always in relation to holidays. When my car broke down a woman offered me a ride home and the use of her cell phone. Someone else, not a total stranger, but who knew very little about me, loaned me a very large sum of money to cover the closing fees on my house many years ago! When I repaid the loan, all she asked was that I pass on the kindness. I was able to respond in kind to someone else many years later.

But I know now that the cycle has to start somewhere so we all need to start that cycle and watch it spread out like the ripples on a pond.

I am so glad this has happened to you. Happy Holidays! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog