• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen vs. Fresh Vegetables

Carolyn Tillie

Re the Mark Bittman article recommending frozen veggies, here: Frosty the Vegetable (NY Times)

From the article:

"Cook [the Brussels sprouts] in butter with a bit of chicken stock, and they are wonderful," suggested Mr. Richard.

I was disappointed that there was no recipe for this accompanying the article. Could someone suggest a technique? I'm going to make this tonight. Well actually, very soon, like in 20 minutes.

I suppose I could just put a spoonful of my concentrated stock and a lump of butter in a covered frying pan with the (frozen) sprouts. I would think they'd need to cook on low for about 15 minutes, then a blast of high heat a the end to reduce the liquids and brown the sprouts. Sound right? Any differing suggestions?

Checking the sprouts after 10 minutes (covered, low flame), they were already more cooked than I like them. So I scooped them out, leaving any liquid behind. Reduced the liquid to a glaze, and returned them for a brief time on high to coat. They were OK. I'll try doing it again, but for less time covered, maybe 5 minutes.

Roasting them is easier and just as good.