• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Cup Steam Bar Coffee Makers

hollywood

From my limited knowledge, I see that both Melitta and Soliloquy (?) are making quick brew, single cup coffee makers using pods and a steam bar. Is the end product any good? Any better than just the traditional Melitta filter process?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I think this may be a variation of the

Senseo Crema system

It uses pods or plastic cartidges of some sort. The original system was suing Douwe Egberts coffee if I recall correctly. I haven't tried the output of such a machine but the verdict seems to be that it's costlier but to many people's tastes, better than regular drip coffee. The brew is produced quickly and under pressure - the result is akin to a cafe crema (this is sort of a over-volume espresso - typically a double shot's worth of espresso blend is ground coarser and the standard 25 - 30 second pull yields about 6 oz of liquid).

The original Philips Senseo Crema system had been wildly popular int he European market - I think Capresso is also making such a machien now. It's not a substitute for a good espresso machine but a very good way to have an excellent cup of "regular" coffee that is quick and convenient to make.