• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Restaurants?

frogprincess

There are 3 places in Vancouver:

Chagall's at the JCC

950 West 41st Ave

604-263-7507

Dairy

Omnitsky

5866 Cambie St

604-321-1818

Meat

Sabra Bakery

3844 Oak (btw 21st and 22nd)

604-733-4912

Meat

I have no idea how the food is in any of these places. Also, call for hours.

Good luck.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 1 year later...

Some updates on the kosher food available in Vancouver:

According to Kosher in Vancouver Sabra's has added Chinese food to the menu, with a Chinese chef. Anyone tried this out?

The Kosher in Vancouver blog has also posted the baking schedule for the Garden City Bakery at: baking schedule which lists items such as Caraway rye, European rye, Marble rye, New York rye, Pumpernickel rye, Kiddish challah, Water challah, Raisin square challah. Garden City Barkey is in the Garden City Mall on Blundell and Garden City Rd. Anyone tried their rye bread?!?!?!

And the Kosher Food Warehouse has started a website: http://www.kosherfoodwarehouse.com/ which has a list of both their year-round and Passover products.

Cheers!

One more Kosher restaurant option apparently is:  Pini's Kosher Pizza, Grocery Store and cafe. 729 West 16th Ave. Vancouver, BC Tel: 604-879-7100

Has anyone ever tried it?

Cheers!

No.. but I read an interesting review somewhere... maybe the Canadian Jewish News?

Sorry, that doesn't help :biggrin:

One more Kosher restaurant option apparently is:  Pini's Kosher Pizza, Grocery Store and cafe. 729 West 16th Ave. Vancouver, BC Tel: 604-879-7100

No.. but I read an interesting review somewhere... maybe the Canadian Jewish News?

Well, it's not the Canadian Jewish News, but I did manage to Google a review here.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Well, it's not the Canadian Jewish News, but I did manage to Google a review here.

Dang. That was it.

Good paper too... especially when they print recipes from a certain kosher cookbook author :wink:

• 1 year later...

I have been, it is very close to my office. They mostly deal in frozen goods, ie they bake on premesis (sp? why does that look so wrong?) and then freeze for bulk sales. However you can also go and special order stuff.

I have only had bagels and a few sweets from them, they are okay but the bagels from Solly's IMO are a million times better.

I have been, it is very close to my office.  They mostly deal in frozen goods, ie they bake on premesis (sp? why does that look so wrong?) and then freeze for bulk sales.  However you can also go and special order stuff.

I have only had bagels and a few sweets from them, they are okay but the bagels from Solly's IMO are a million times better.

'Cause you're spelling it like nemesis. I like.

Actually it premises.

And wouldn't Kaplan's Deli on Oak be kosher? (added so I remain on topic :rolleyes: )

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Kaplan's isn't kosher. I can't remember where, but this was already asked and answered ... and then I asked the next time I was there for pastrami ... and they said no ... but it was still really good ... and consider I'm not Jewish, not at all a big deal. :huh:

A.

Actually, that make sense. IIRC, Kaplan's serves things like Reubens, and meat and dairy combined is defintiely not kosher. However, I believe they sell some kosher products.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Kaplan's is definitely treif (non-Kosher). But they do have some Kosher pre-packaged products for sale for take-out (as does the Safeway not far from there).

There is a fairly comprehensive list of Kosher restaurants and outlets in the Vancouver area here: http://www.bckosher.org/vancouver.html

Cheers!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

IIRC, Kaplan's also sells some kosher meat products, even if they serve them in a non-kosher combo with cheese. I remember a former boss who ordered chicken weekly from Kaplan's because it was kosher. Not sure about all the other meatstuffs. Is there a full kosher butchery in town? I think there's a halal (sp?) one . . ..

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Omnitksy doesn't do actual butchering on-site. They do it all down at their Richmond facility which as far as I know is not open directly to the public. So if you need special cuts, etc. you have to call in advance to get it delivered to their retail shop.

Other options for kosher meat include Sabra and Kosher Food Warehouse.

Cheers!