• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked salmon

fifi

I have just about got my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker doing what I want it to do, including playing "Hail to the Queen" as I approach.

Now I want to go beyond pork butt and brisket and into that rarified realm of smoked salmon like I enjoy so much in the Pacific Northwest. I went to the Virtual Weber Bullet site and I am not all that impressed with what I saw. It seems to me that the temperature was a bit too high compared to the war stories of my PNW buddies (they try to keep it down but not into the cold smoking range) and the seasoning looked a little strange. (What the heck IS savory, anyway? And, why don't I know?) I am also a bit leary of the dill. I don't recall ever having dill on the delicious home smoked fish I have had in the PNW.

The style of smoked fish that I am talking about is the drier kind that is often served for snacks and starters. I have ordered from Vis Seafoods in Bellingham with great success but I really want to try to do this.

Another problem is that you ain't gonna find alder wood in the Great Gulf Coast. Hickory, pecan and mesquite are typical here. (Nix the mesquite, I think. Probably too strong.)

So...

Seasonings for the cure?

What fish other than salmon? (Halibut doesn't lurk down here.)

Smoking time and temperature?

Wood?

What say you?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If I were a salmon muncher, probably would use apple cider, cinnamon, cracked black pepper, etc. kosher salt for the cure.

Alder wood being unavailable, try peach, ash or pecan.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

I have cold smoked salmon, and made Indian Candy, which was pretty sweet for my liking but others seem to enjoy small morsels.

woodburner

I've followed Alton's directions with favourable results.

He recommends the inside of the smoker be 150-160 degrees F and I've read one suggestion not to let it go over 90 degrees F. :unsure:

Here are some other recommendations from my Cooking Alaskan by Alaskans cookbook.

Brine: salt and brown sugar mixtures

Seasonings for the cure: Basically your preference!

salt, brown sugar, pepper, crushed bay leaves, allspice, crushed whole cloves and mace

Also suggested, consider: garlic powder, honey or maple syrup

What other fish: steelhead, black cod (sable fish)

I think Alton lists others too.

Smoking time and temperature:

Alton recommends until the thickest part of the fish reaches 150 degrees.

Wood: hickory or apple wood works well. Pecan sounds interesting too.

I hope some of this helps. :smile:

Thanks, beans. Your seasoning recommendations look more familiar to me, and sound better.

I think you are right about the temperature. My memory is telling me that my Bellingham friends have used about 150F or maybe a little less. I also remember that there is some rule about maintaining at least 160F or so if you are going to sell it. Some kind of health rule that probably makes no sense to those folks who have been doing it cooler all of their lives. I can't find the old e-mails since I last picked their brains about this, therefore, my poor momory.

woodburner... What is Indian candy? I tried the bacon candy one time out of curiosity and surprisingly, I found it delicious. "Surprisingly" since I am not real big on sweets, especially with meat.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

He recommends the inside of the smoker be 150-160 degrees F and I've read one suggestion not to let it go over 90 degrees F. :unsure:

Basically I ran the cooker, (WSM) at around 90ºF with a 1500 watt single burner hot plate, and apple wood sawdust for my Indian candy salmon, which included grande honey and maple syrup coating

This needs to be done on cool, crisp, with a non-existent breeze day. One key point I should make. I dis-membered the male end of my hot plate cord, and replaced it with a quick disconnect type. This allows you to run the cord thru one of the bottom vent holes, and then quick connect the male end of the cord,(plug) and insert into a 120v receptacle.

woodburner

We made hot-smoked tuna sometimes at Ortanique, and it was delicious. Especially good turned into a smoked fish dip. I imagine trout (if you can keep from overcooking it) and bluefish would also be excellent.

woodburner... What is Indian candy? I tried the bacon candy one time out of curiosity and surprisingly, I found it delicious. "Surprisingly" since I am not real big on sweets, especially with meat.

Traditionally it is sliced salmon(from the belly) into strips, cured with about equal portions salt and brown sugar. Then hot smoked, for about 4 hours or so, brushing intermittently with maple syrup, to form a sweet glaze.

I alterted a bit for my cook, going with a cold smoke, and doing small filet type portions.

woodburner

We made hot-smoked tuna sometimes at Ortanique, and it was delicious. Especially good turned into a smoked fish dip. I imagine trout (if you can keep from overcooking it) and bluefish would also be excellent.

Here in the Duluth, MN area, smoked trout is quite popular. It's fatty enough to absorb the flavor.

Until my cold smoker is built, I will continue to smoke my salmon on my hot smoker. My best results have been from brining (1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar) for an hour or two, slicing the salmon into 4 oz portions (roughly a half inch wide) and getting my smoker's temp as low as possible without letting the fire die which is usually around 175, lower in colder months. Typically the salmon takes about 45 minutes. I have no idea what the temp of the salmon is because it would destroy the salmon to do so, but I'm sure it's not about 150 or 160 degrees. I pull the salmon when the flesh starts firm up.

I was never very happy when I smoked the fillets whole, they just weren't smoked enough for me. Then I had a realization, if country style ribs end up smokier than a whole shoulder, why couldn't it work for salmon?

I also don't like to throw herbs or spices on the salmon -- I want the smoke to draw out the natural flavors of the salmon. Salmon is too good to waste on herbs. Well, good salmon that is. If you have less than stellar salmon, don't let me stop you from masking away.

I don't have access to "fruit wood". Would pecan do?

Thanks, klink. I think I am headed to doing it your way. Maybe I will wait for a cold front. I had a pork butt on the WSM last night. It was a warm and breezy night and I had a little trouble getting it up to 250 at the top vent. I think that was due to the breeziness. With a cold front, I could probably get it down to 150 without the fire going out. Therefore, I may wait until our Gulf Coast "winter" to try this.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I don't have access to "fruit wood". Would pecan do?

Thanks, klink. I think I am headed to doing it your way. Maybe I will wait for a cold front. I had a pork butt on the WSM last night. It was a warm and breezy night and I had a little trouble getting it up to 250 at the top vent. I think that was due to the breeziness. With a cold front, I could probably get it down to 150 without the fire going out. Therefore, I may wait until our Gulf Coast "winter" to try this.

Yup, pecan will work.

Don't forget, you can cold smoke a la woodburner with a hot plate and sawdust in case a "cold front" doesn't come through.

One note on smoking: after brining/curing wipe product dry and let sit in the reefer for at least a couple of hours uncovered to dry out further. This forms what is called the "pellicle" or skin on the product that allows smoke to adhere and give the finished product a nice patina.

hth, danny

• 1 year later...

My husband just discovered my grandfathers little chief and since we have a lot of coho salmon on hand is wanting to make some smoked salmon. He likes it very dry and so do I and we were wonderiing if anyone has any recipes, they can share on how to do this...

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

My husband just discovered my grandfathers little chief and since we have a lot of coho salmon on hand is wanting to make some smoked salmon. He likes it very dry and so do I and we were wonderiing if anyone has any recipes, they can share on how to do this...

I have a lot of friends in Bellingham WA where the style of fish (dry) is what you describe. This version gives some good information. I copied it from the e-mail.

BRINE FOR SMOKED SALMON

3 – 4 Bay leaves

3 tablespoons liquid smoke (optional)

2 – 3 tablespoons molasses

1 tablespoon whole pepper corns

1 lb. dark brown sugar

2 pinches pickling spice

few dashes of Johnny’s Seasoning Salt

½ - 1 cup plain salt (not rock salt, don’t know why)

½ gallon water

Skin side up in brine, weight top to submerge fish for overnight. Place on racks skin side down till tacky & shiny.

Smoking tips:

Generally, fish is “hot smoked” these days. Wash St. health regs require reaching 175 degrees F. to kill bacteria. It’s difficult to get to this temp in smoke houses with remote fire ducted to smokehouse.

The wood of choice in the NW is Alder- don’t use bark as it imparts a bitter flavor.

Commercial smokers are good if they reach temp (some don’t, so not much smoke) and have good capacity. They have the advantage that chip holder is easily removed without disturbing fish. 3-4 hrs. smoking will usually get good flavor w/o drying out fish too much. Rick’s trick of partially pre-cooking fish will decrease smoking time. During smoking, note moisture by flaking apart meat enough to see if liquid is still present. After liquid is gone, smoke to desired dryness and flavor.

Soak wood chips in water before smoking. Smoking can be done in a briquette barbeque like a Weber (a hassle- much attendance required). A gas barbeque with dual burners and a flip lid is a good way to go. Advantage is that whole sides can be smoked at once. Home Depot has a cast iron wood chip container (~$10.00). It goes directly on one burner, then aluminum foil over the box and rest of the bottom of the BBQ. Fish can be set on several stacked racks above. Chips in box will smoke for ½ to ¾ hour, and then remove remaining wood charcoal from box and refill with fresh wet chips. Disadvantage is that this requires moving racks with fish each time chip box needs refilling. Only the burner under the box is lit, and heat can be adjusted (usually low) as needed with good control. Lid is kept closed, and 3-4 hours later, fish is done.

Eat fresh, store in refer, or freeze for later.

Lots of luck and let us know how you do.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Unless I am confusing my salmon....isn't the coho the "troutlike" salmon, in that it is a fairly small salmon. If so, you can smoke those puppies in no time. Actually you can smoke them at a relatively high temperature for a fairly short time (in smoking terms). I think I have even smoked them stove-top before.

Unless I am confusing my salmon....isn't the coho the "troutlike" salmon, in that it is a fairly small salmon.  If so, you can smoke those puppies in no time.  Actually you can smoke them at a relatively high temperature for a fairly short time (in smoking terms).  I think I have even smoked them stove-top before.

What are you thinking of as "fairly small"? We caught a **-lber once.

Edited because the Spouse reminds me that the 40-lber was a spring and the biggest coho we ever got was 17 lbs.

Edited by Jensen (log)

I remember Alton Brown smoking salmon on one of his shows. It was a pretty cool technique. I think he did it in a cardboard box.

This isn't quite the recipe I remember, but it still gives the brining and refrigeration process. Good luck!

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

I've been smoking salmon with a Little Chief for years. I do a dry brine of half brown sugar, half kosher salt with a bit of bay leaf, black pepper, garlic, onion, allspice and a little clove. Cover the salmon with the brine, put it on a rack over a sheetpan and refrigerate for 4 - 6 hours. Rinse it well, dry it and put it back on the rack overnight in the fridge to dry. Smoke the next day.

I like a mixture of cherry and apple. If it's small fish, one round of smoke will do it, larger fish take two. The Little Chief usually doesn't cook it all the way through, so take it out and finish it in the oven at 350' for about 5 minutes.

You can also do an overnight brine with half soy and mollasses. This will result in a dryer fish.

Try smoking tomatoes, then using them in pasta dishes or in a vinaigrette - tasty!

I've been smoking salmon with a Little Chief for years. I do a dry brine of half brown sugar, half kosher salt with a bit of bay leaf, black pepper, garlic, onion, allspice and a little clove. Cover the salmon with the brine, put it on a rack over a sheetpan and refrigerate for 4 - 6 hours. Rinse it well, dry it and put it back on the rack overnight in the fridge to dry. Smoke the next day.

I've done very much the same - about half kosher salt, half brown sugar, with the addition of various spices as dictated by whim. We've usually let it brine over night before rinsing and drying. From what I remember, the more you rinse & dry, the less of a hard glaze you get on the fish after smoking, and the softer the texture of the final product. We've done some w/ a Caribbean-ish cure and left it on during smoking for something different.

Here's some Coho, Sockeye, and Halibut ready to go...

gallery_16210_533_1104507421.jpg

Oh... & Coho (Silvers) may not be Kings, but they aren't what I'd call small. :laugh:

gallery_16210_533_1104509061.jpg

Edited by loper (log)