• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb Spare Ribs: Tell All

Fat Guy

Last night at the restaurant Oscar's -- which is essentially an upscale diner/coffee-shop in the Waldorf=Astoria hotel here in New York -- I had an unexpectedly remarkable dish while sitting at the bar: lamb spare-ribs rubbed with Middle Eastern spices. The ribs were braised and then finished under a broiler (or maybe on a grill). It occurred to me that my mother, when I was very young, used to make lamb spare ribs on occasion. But I hadn't had a lamb spare rib in at least 20 years.

So, what in the world explains the lack of popularity of this delicious -- and cheap -- cut of meat?

Lamb spare ribs for everyone!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What would one ask the butcher for?

I believe they're pretty universally called just "lamb spareribs."

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

A slab would be "spareribs." That same slab separated into individual pieces would be "riblets."

They were on the original bar menu at 727 Pine, in Seattle. Also, I recall on the bar menu at Fandango, in Seattle. I found them less fun to eat than anticipated. I think they were overcharred on one occassion at Fandango, and maybe stringy or too spicy at 727.

A slab would be "spareribs." That same slab separated into individual pieces would be "riblets."

Technically, you're correct. But I've seen this "slab" in grocery stores labeled "riblets."

Blame mid-level chain restaurants for the corruption.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Lamb Spare Ribs were a menu stable for many years at Canlis Restaurants. But when I recently had dinner there are asked the Wait person if they had any available not on the menu, she returned saying the Chef had one serving and would be able to prepare it if I wished. I wished and she placed the order.

I was surprised to be served a order of Double Rib Lamb Chops, very nice but not what I expected. Since I enjoy Lamb, just shut up and enjoyed.

I'm surprised that they are not more popular. I have a standing order with several meatmarket who occasionally have them available.

They are very tasty, can be Broiled, Braised, Stewed or Marinated and taste very good anyway they are prepared. I generally make mine marinated, broiled medium rare. Its very easy to remove any excess fat before preperation.

Used to be able to order by the case wholesale imported New Zeland Lamb Ribs, and served them as a Appitizer or Entree very successfuly.

Few people are aware that Lamb Liver actually tastes better then Calfs Liver and is rarely available, but makes delicious pates.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Fat Guy

I love them. I don't see them on restaurant menus but I like to broil them or pull them off the carcass of a whole roasted lamb.

I hope we do not encourage too much use of them. I wouldn't want lamb ribs to become like chicken wings that used to be super cheap and now the most expensive part of the bird.

I often buy local grass fed lamb spare ribs at a local market mmmmmmm.

Lamb Spare Ribs were a menu *stable for many years...

*staple

Sorry.. pet peeve.

Summertruffle: Peeves are out of season in the autumn. Sorry about the Stable, wasn't horsing around, don't spell check or edit, didn't expect to be LAMB, blasted, as my intent was obvious, not worth editing or clearifying.

Any input on the topic, would be welcomed.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I haven't had these since I was a kid (no pun intended -- oh, alright: pun intended). Lamb spare-ribs are not common in the south (Varmint will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope), but as we moved around the country my mother discovered them. She almost always cooked them under the broiler.

Squeat

Growing up, my dad was co-owner of a lamb slaughter house/packing plant and used to bring lamb ribs home regularly because they had trouble selling them. He would marinate them in a mix of soy sauce, pineapple juice, crushed garlic and vermouth, then grill them. One of my best food memories of my childhood. I've seen them only a couple times in the store and keep meaning to ask a butcher if they can get them for me.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

There used to be this terribly self-conscious diner - retro rocket style, well before Fog City - in Austin, on Barton Springs Road by Zilker Park. They had jerked lamb riblets as an appetizer. I went into deep mourning when they closed. Those ribs, in a city and state full of good rib joints, were the ultimate.

Before that I used to find lamb riblets from time to time in little butcher shops or in markets serving ethnic neighborhoods. When I lived in New Haven - where I was introduced to lamb riblets, I came to associate them with restaurants and butcher shops throughout New England and New York frequented by Eastern Europeans. Where I found deckle, I also found lamb riblets. Has anyone tried a good kosher butcher?

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I used to make lamb riblets because it was an great means of getting the taste of lamb at a bargain price, usually under $2 a pound.

After seeing this message string, my hunger for little lambies skyrocketed, so I looked for them at Whole Foods today (it's rare when my Reading Terminal Market butchers have them). They were priced at an outrageous $4.49/pound. Half a case away, however, boneless "humanley raised" (whatever that means) Canadian rolled boneless breast of veal was selling for the same price.

No contest. I came home with the veal. Not the same meat, of course, but tasty in its own way and way, way more frugal.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report