• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston-Lunch at the Bar?

liamdc

Can anyone recommend a good place in downtown Boston where one can eat lunch at the bar on a weekday?

I'll be staying at the Parker House, so anything between Quincy Market and the Park Plaza area would be convenient. Thanks in advance!

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Number 9 Park is right around the corner from the Parker House and has a nice bar/cafe area where lunch is served. The food is Italian/Mediterranean inspired. An interesting clientele respresenting a mix of politicos (from the State House which sits right up the block) and business types from the financial district.

Another option (fairly new) heading toward Back Bay is Excelsior. The restaurant is located in the Heritage on the Garden complex, on Boylston Street, directly facing the Public Garden near the Four Seasons Hotel. Interesting daily lunch menu (which varies by the day of the week), and a fairly extensive wine list (and wines by the glass) to choose from.

On the back side of the building where Exselsior is located, another lunch possibility with bar seating is Via Matta. Italian food, pretty good (though overrated in my opinion), but pricey for what it is.

In fact, each of these three options are pricey. Less expensive possibilities also exist.....

Number 9 Park is right around the corner from the Parker House and has a nice bar/cafe area where lunch is served.  The food is Italian/Mediterranean inspired. 

No 9 Park also has a three-course prix-fixe lunch everyday for $26....They do not cut corners on it, or treat one like an inferior life-form for ordering it....

I guess I'm looking a little upscale - just above pub grub - but no particular type of food. I'm very flexible.

Thanks for the No. 9 Park suggestion. I've been once, but didn't realize they were open for lunch as well. Excellent option.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic