• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pyrat rums - are these pure rums?

Markus Lewalski

Hi Rum Fans,

Finally I offered myself a bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 "rum" and I really don't know what to think about it! Is this rum??? :blink:

My first impression was that this is a blend of Cointreau/Curaçao and Ron Zacapa. This "rum" has such a strong bitter orange/orange peel taste that this cannot be pure rum.

I don't know what kind of casks they use at Anguilla Distilleries. Maybe they aged some kind of bitter orange liqueur in the casks and left half of it in the cask before filling it with rum but I am 110 % convinced that such a taste cannot be obtained by ageing "normal" rum in "normal" casks.

I am curious to hear your opinion about that.

(I assume that the taste of Pyrat XO and Cask 23 is not that different as both "rums" are supposed to be a blend of the same rums but only in different proportions)

Markus

Nah, Pyrat XO is a fairly normal tasting rum, it doesnt taste like it has much added to it. As to Cask 23 I have no idea, I never had a wallet thick enough to go out and buy a bottle!

A lot of the rums in the french west indies, particularly on Martinique are aged in barrels that used to have cognac in it. So its certainly possible that flavor might impart itself into the rum a bit -- certainly a lot of Rhum Agricole has this type of flavor character to it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host