• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meats of The Future

Fat Guy

Mr. Cutlets, in your opinion, as our foremost prognosticator of meat, where do you see the future of meat going? Do you believe science will bring us new meats? Will people eat more meat or less in the future? Would you please predict the state of meat 50, 100, 1000, and 10,000 years from now? Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is one of my favorite topics, albeit one of the most gruesome ones. I have often, in the twilight of my years, looked forward to a genetically engineered future in which immense "kobe-style" hogs are bread for majestically marbled pork chops and freakish cows are created with spinalis dorsii muscles (the exquisite "lip" at the top of the rib-eye steak) as big as shell loins. I long for a chicken that is all skin, and a boneless duck that I can eat with one hand. But all this is perhaps too ambitious.

If the current trends continue, beef and pork will continue to get leaner and less tasty, people will insist that they like it better that way, and eventually the beef, pork and veal that we know and love will become a luxury item like single-malt scotch. People will still eat more meat than they should, and die in exactly the same rates; but their lives will be bleaker, and their meals hardly worth eating. This is the prophecy of Mr. Cutlets.

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!