• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA area knife sharpeners?

While I dont live in LA, I know the common consensus here is to learn to sharpen your own knives. There is a tutorial in the EGCI about sharpening. I dont think it has much on Japanese Water stones, but you might want to look into those too. It is not as daunting a task as it seems. :smile:

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Hop in the car and head downtown to Ross Cutlery, located at 310 S. Broadway, right next to the Bradbury Building. They have been in business over 40 years and have an incredible selection of knives and scissors. All their sharpening is done on site, and they're very good at what they do. When my brand new Global dropped on the pavement at a catering gig and had a nice chunk taken out of the center of the blade, they restored it beautifully.

They're open 7 days a week, 9:00 to 6:00. Phone is 231-626-1897.

Check out the selection of handmade pocket knives too. I have a beautiful black handled Spyderco I got there that I've not seen anywhere else. Plus, while your knives are being sharpened, you can go eat tacos and check out the produce at Grand Central Market, directly across the street. It's worth the drive.

Is the locksmith still there at Farmer's Market?

Where did they move him?

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

I go to a place on Little S.M. in B.H. about 2 or 3 blocks east of Wilshire on the North side of street. Ye Olde Cutlery might be the name??? Old time place where he does the work himself and has for probably 40 yrs or more. Last time I went it was .40 per inch with one day service.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/