• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This REALLY works

fifi

I thought I would bump this discussion back up.

I just tried the new Dawn Direct Foam and I am impressed. After cooking, most of the time I will do "spot cleaning", meaning I won't run a sink full of water for just a few dishes. So I will put some dish washing liquid on a non-abrasive scouring pad and quickly wash up the pans and utensils.

This Dawn Direct Foam lasts quite a long time in the scouring pad. I squirted one pump full onto my Dobie scouring pad (it didn't look like a large amount) and washed up the dishes and there was still quite a bit of foam/soap left in the pad when I finished my cleaning. I was surprised it hadn't run out of soap. I think I could have cleaned another set of pans with the soap that was leftover in the pad.

I bought it at Target and saw they had the refill bottles there, as well.

Has anyone else tried this new product?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On a somewhat food-related note: If you get gum in your hair, rub in some peanut butter to get it out. Then find something to get the peanut butter out of your hair. Seriously, PB really does work on a lot of sticky, gummy stuff.

Last fall my little terrier escaped on an adventure and came back full of burrs - eyes, paws, everywhere! Somewhere in the back of my brain, I dug up the idea of spraying my fingers with PAM and then I was easily able to work the burrs/ pickers out of her coat. Best of all, she wasn't the least bit greasy when done. :biggrin:

I thought for sure someone would have mentioned the new miracle worker in our kitchen, but not yet, so: if you don't have some already, get some Barkeepers Friend. It's a multipurpose powder for stainless of all kinds but it also works incredibly well on almost everything else in the world. I completely cleaned Le Creuset pots that had stains on them that were years old, and my new Sitram stuff cleans up in a jiffy. I'm serious: this stuff is absolutely remarkable. If you disagree, I'll happily buy your excess! :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I thought I would bump this discussion back up.

I just tried the new Dawn Direct Foam and I am impressed. After cooking, most of the time I will do "spot cleaning", meaning I won't run a sink full of water for just a few dishes.  So I will put some dish washing liquid on a non-abrasive scouring pad and quickly wash up the pans and utensils.

This Dawn Direct Foam lasts quite a long time in the scouring pad. I squirted one pump full onto my Dobie scouring pad (it didn't look like a large amount) and washed up the dishes and there was still quite a bit of foam/soap left in the pad when I finished my cleaning.  I was surprised it hadn't run out of soap.  I think I could have cleaned another set of pans with the soap that was leftover in the pad.

I bought it at Target and saw they had the refill bottles there, as well.

Has anyone else tried this new product?

My daughter came home with a bottle of this a while back. She uses it more often than I do but it is great for cleaning up the pans that you don't have room for in the dishwasher. It really does take very little to do the job.

Chris:

I too am amazed no one had mentioned Barkeepers Friend... it rocks! I used in on my old stainless sink and it looks like new. I then cleaned every pot and pan, and it looks like I have all new cookingware!!!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Chris:

I too am amazed no one had mentioned Barkeepers Friend... it rocks!  I used in on my old stainless sink and it looks like new.  I then cleaned every pot and pan, and it looks like I have all new cookingware!!!

That stuff is amazing. The store where I purchased my new cookware was out of stock of Barkeepers Friend at the time, so it was several weeks before I remembered to pick some up. My pans were already stained from use, but they came right out with BK. I wound up cleaning every single pan that night. Oh my, I need to get out more...

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I'm a fan of Clorox Clean-up. We live in an older house with a porcelain sink, and the only way to get it really white again is to use bleach. I used to run a sinkful of water, put bleach in it, let it set, and then try to find something to pry the plug out of the drain so that I wouldn't have to get bleach-water on my hands. (They have enough other challenges.) Now I just spray the Clean-up stuff on the sink and walk away. It does its job without any further intervention from me.

But be careful. You do not want to get it on your clothes: it is bleach.

I absolutely never cry when I am cutting onions... IF I am wearing my contact lenses. But if I start cutting with my glasses on, I have learned NOT to try to put the lenses in, because the only thing that makes me cry harder than onion fumes is onion juice placed directly in my eye.

Anyway, if you have a contact lens wearer in your household, I recommend assigning them to the onion-chopping job.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Stanley tools make a yellow plastic handle with an inch wide rubber strap at one end that you can pull tight around any size screw cap on any jar and using the handle for leverage it opens anything easily. I bought a large and a small one for $8.95 at Fry's electronics. Amazingly handy in the workshop also. :smile: