• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hill Station Ice cream

i just wanted to share a new find, it's hill station ice cream. the cinnamon is good (better flavour than the cinnamon ice cream at RHR), but the spiced coffee is probably the most amazing ice cream i've ever eaten. given that i spend my weekends making my own it almost makes me cry to say this...i am already working on my own interpretation of it.

i've only seen it in one place, the italian deli on cross street in islington.

run, run there now.

(and no, i don't work for them)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Yes, its very good. Meant to be "grown up" ice cream.

Tescos and Sainsburys occasionally have it (the one in Angel does) although the range is a bit restricted - the only flavours I ever seem to see are strong vanilla and the mango one.

I think Conran/Bluebird stocks a wider range

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Tarka, I so share you enthusiasm for Hill Station. I discovered it several years ago and fell head-over-heels in love with it. My favourite is their cardamon flavour. Their vanilla is also amazing. I recently used it for a simple but delicious dessert with fresh berries and crushed pieces of merangue.

By the way, where has Simon gone? The board seems very quiet without him.

You have clearly all been denied the opportunity of eating their banana and muscavado sugar ice cream. It is enough to bring this grown man to his knees. What is the point of making ice cream when you can buy tis stuff?

Hill Station makes wonderful ice cream, and has been working hard at developing the art of fine ice cream making for a number of years. Their (unspiced) coffee ice cream is DIVINE, using coffee from the very excellent Union Roasters (Jeremy Torz and Steven Macatonia, who by the way, trained at Peets to learn their craft).

Gina and Charles, two Americans-in-london are the ice cream making brains.............

what i wouldn't give to have a container right here in my fridge in hampshire.

their candied ginger ice cream is wonderful.....wooooonderful........too.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

For those of us who otherwise suffer the comparative culinary sparsity of South East London, the good news is that it can also be found at the excellent "Hand Made Foods" in Blackheath.

For those of us who otherwise suffer the comparative culinary sparsity of South East London, the good news is that it can also be found at the excellent "Hand Made Foods" in Blackheath.

You can even find it in Scotland sadly my children are quite discerning too.

personally I didn't like the toasted coconut and rum at all, expecially with the coconut bits in it.

however I did like Bittersweet Chocolate, Strong Vanilla Bean and Mango & Lime

Planning to try the banana flavour soon!

My local Tesco has the bitter chocolate and the lime and mago. I bought the latter last night. It was good. However, I have to say that I prefer the passionfruit that I make myself using a recipe the Hill Station people gave in the Daily Telegraph magazine a few Saturdays back. I add a couple of slugs of passoa to the mix and it's really rather good, if I do say so myself. I've just made two batches of ice cream today at the request of a friend who's having a party: lemon meringue in one and Maltesers in the other, with the subtle addition of some caramel. Just off to deliver them now!

I make myself using a recipe the Hill Station people gave in the Daily Telegraph magazine a few Saturdays back

Would you be so kind to give us this recipe? Whenever I attempt to do ice-cream it always comes too 'icy' rather than’ creamy'

Definitely need a machine to get that creamy texture. Mine is a cheapo Phillips job, cost about £40 and makes about 1.1 litre. From memory:

4 egg yolks

100g caster sugar

Whisk these together then whisk in about 250 mls full-fat milk and about 300 mls cream. They also offer the optional use of skimmed milk powder 'to stabilise the mixture'. I don't use it. Then cook in a bain-marie until the custard thickens slightly. Chill it. Add about 200mls passionfruit puree. I buy 4 - 6 p.fruit and make up the quantity of juice with passoa, as stated above. Churn in your ice cream mixer, transfer to a container and freeze until ready to eat.

Apologies that the quantities are so vague, I'll check later with the recipe. Any way, you get the idea. Make an egg custard, flavour it, churn it. Eat it.

I read a thread on ice cream making some time ago where the chief protagonists were Steve Klc and Jonathan Day. I realised the depth of my ignorance about the whole process. But the above recipe is pretty tasty to eat while I'm trying to learn more. :biggrin:

Have you tried the ginger variety? Very scented, quite unlike any other I have tasted. In Edinburgh you can certainly get it in a wee vegetable shop in Argyle Street and in Harvey Nicks

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com