• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bergen county

bunny

I grew up in Cliffside!

Hmm. You could try Wild Ginger in Englewood (My favorite. A bit expensive, but very tasty Japanese/French)

There's a cute little place called Vespa on River Road in Edgewater or Weehawken.

There's Napa Grille (Yum! Unfortunately, it's at the Garden State Plaza Mall)

Kervan is really the only decent restaurant in Cliffside Park. Its Turkish/Middle Eastern food.

For much more casual dining in Cliffside, Its Greek To Me was just renovated but its basically a sandwich/gyro kind of place. Good food though. More of a lunch place.

In Fort Lee and Leonia you've got a lot of Korean options, if you like that kind of food.

In Ridgefield Park off Route 46 (about 5 minutes away) in the office park complex there's Gasho, a pretty good Japanese-style steakhouse.

Arguably the best chinese restuarant in NJ, China 46 (http://www.china46.com) , also in Ridgefield, is about 2 minutes from that.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There is a nice restaurant in Fort Lee, right on the Cliffside border, called Cafe Boulevard. A beautiful looking place, very comfortable, with interesting eclectic food. Something for everyone on the menu. Not a 3 star event, but a nice dining experience. Check their web site: Cafe Boulevard

What about Rebecca's? 

I've never been, but i've heard good things (here and from friends) that it's very good, albeit a bit expensive for Cuban food.

Rebeccas is a nice restaurant, yes. The cafe next door, Cafe Archetypus, is an interesting place to go for dessert and coffee afterwards.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

For Spanish food, Tapas de España in North Bergen.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=12014

I've also heard a lot of good things about Le Jardin, a continental restaurant which is on the cliffs on River Road in Edgewater and has a scenic view of manhattan. Pricey, however.

http://www.nj.com/dining/reviews_ledger.ss...ssf?9007?9007_2

America 115 Country Rd Tenafly 201-227-1200

I didn't suggest America, Jerry's Osteria (Tenafly), Max's Italian Cafe (Tenafly) or Saigon Republic (Englewood) or Kratiem (Englewood) because I thought they weren't in the immediate area. But yes, all good choices if she doesn't mind driving 15-20 minutes out of her way.

If they insist on staying in Cliffside, this seems to be a fairly up-to-date list of restaurants.

Kaname Restaurant, right on Palisade Ave., is extremely good Japanese. Right across the street from Kaname, Villa Amalfi is overpriced Italian, but decent if somewhat unambitious.

Also, if the folks you are meeting are Meat and Potatoes types, River Palm Terrace, a better than average Steak house, is less than a mile away, in Edgewater. Also, there's really superior Indian food in Englewood at a place named Kinara, and decent Seafood/Italian at a place called Joe & Tess'.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've tried to try Cafe Archetypus the wait for a seat in the no-smoking section (evidentally much smaller than the smoking section) was way too long, and we left.

Another great place in Cliffside Park:

Cafe LADA 520 ANDERSON AVE, CLIFFSIDE PARK NJ 201-840-8088

Russian food.

ALLEGEDLY a no-smoking restaurant, but the night we were there (the food is FABULOUS), there was a smoker in this one-room restaurant and the wait staff declined to ask the smoker to put the cigarette out. So if you go, INSIST that they respect their no-smoking policy!

Another great place: AMARONE, 63 Cedar Lane, Teaneck 07666 201-833-1897 www.amaroneristorante.net

Another great place with a GREAT early bird:

Don Quijote Restaurant, 344 Bergen Blvd. Fairview, NJ 07022 201-943-3133 / 34

http://www.donquijoterestaurant.net

Get their lamb chops!! YUMMY!

Another great place (not that close to Cliffside but. . )

Ciao Bella, 172 Piermont Rd, Cresskill 201-894-1444

Another great place: BIG RED TOMATO 201 224 6500, Fort Lee, Anderson Avenue at Route 5

Marge

I don't "get" Ciao Bella in Cresskill. So many people have recommended the place to us, but it's taken us a couple years to get in there (whenever we went the wait was so long, so we'd go to Samdam instead). So we finally get in and the food is so average. The pizza was nice, but not great. The pasta dishes were a little watery. Eh.

I agree that Ciao Bella is fairly ordinary-- but so are 98% of the Italian restaurants in NJ as well...

The thing CB has going for it is a pleasant ambience, pleasant food (Actually the chicken grilled in the Pizza oven is VERY good), and reasonable prices. This is also one of the last restos on earth to actually INCLUDE a salad with their entrees.

I think if you go Mon-Thurs you will not have any lines. Weekends in the burbs make for crowded restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

Cafe Lada opened sometime in 2003. Well, truth is I don't know. They started advertising in my building's newsletter in Spring 03.

The food was fabulous. 12 of us went and it was all served family style:

LADA 520 ANDERSON AVE, CLIFFSIDE PARK NJ 201-840-8088

SALADS

Garden salad

Vinagrette (sweet beets, carrots, potatoes in oil)

O’livie salad (chicken potatoes pickles in mayonnaise)

Eggplant sotte

HOT APPETIZERS

Assorted pirogies

Vareniki (potato or cheese)

Peleni “sibirsky” (Russian style meat dumplings)

ENTREES

Salmon Kulebiaka (salmon, sautéed mushrooms/onions baked in puff pastry)

Chicken arabat (chicken filet stuffed with prunes)

Beef a la stroganoff (beef with mushrooms and onions in white sauce)

A wonderful lattice-work berry and apple pie served warm and sprinkled with powdered sugar with coffee or tea was the dessert and it was fabulous.

Yes, I recommend it.

However, tell them you expect it will be smoke-free and make sure they comply!

Marge

Edited by marge201 (log)

What's the word on Grissini's in Englewood Cliffs?  It was recommended to me some time ago and I forgot all about it until I drove by the other day.

This place has appeal with the Black Cadillac, Lincoln Continental crowd; Black silk suits are the attire of preference here--

Go into the next town down the hill, Tenafly, and try America for a sophisticated meal.

Don Quijote is okay, I've had a few good meals there. But I've also had some fairly crappy ones. Tapas de España, in nearby North Bergen, is far far better--"Newark" quality, in fact.

Stay away from the always mysteriously crowded "Big Red Tomato" on Anderson Ave., by the way. It's just NOT worth it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

This place has appeal with the Black Cadillac, Lincoln Continental crowd; Black silk suits are the attire of preference here--

To be honest, menton, I'm far more interested in the food than the dress code. The people who recommended it to me were actually Edgewater-living hipsters. They mentioned the parking lot too when they described the place.

I have eaten at Kretien but there are also several other restaurants on Palisade Avenue-

I live i n Teaneck so I also recommend many of our town's restaurants-

I especially enjoy eating at East -a Japanese restaurant

There are kosher restaurants on Cedar Lane which close for Shabbos(Friday nite at sundown to Saturday). They are open late Saturday nite.

On Queen Road is Hatikvah an Israeli Restaurant which has great Mid-Eastern Food.

There is also Palisade Park-Broad Avenue where there are many great Korean Restaurants.

Joanne

I live in Englewood Cliffs & can tell you Grissini is not as above described.

It is a high end place - very nice - great food.

Little pricey, but I think worth it.

The lot is always packed with expensive cars - not Lincoln's as mentioned above.

Wonderful fresh pasta & great fish dishes.

Another favorite of mine in this price range, just down the hill in Englewood, is 90 Grand Grille - everything wonderful - also pricey but worth it - I love the duck.