• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California & the East Coast Bias

JFLinLA

Russ:

So we've had some discussions, including here on e-Gullet, about the east coast (read NYC) centric nature of much food discuss, at least here in the US. In that regard, I'd like to thank the good folks here at e-Gullet for including a Q&A with you.

Clearly that NY focus continues for food and much else while we know there is terrific food throughout the US. And those of us here in California think we've done more than a thing or two to contribute to the US food scene. In that regard, thanks for mentioning Evan Kleiman in another thread here.

So, I guess I have two questions:

1. What are thoughts about the issue I mention?

2. Who are some other "left coasters" that would be good to profile, or what are some things coming out of this area that the rest of the country, or rest of the world should note?

Jody

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I think that there is without question an East Coast--no, let's speak plainly, Manhattan--bias. Look no further than the usual explanation: how many magazines and book publishers are headquartered there? More to the point: how many aren't? The echo chamber effect is deafening.

I'm of two minds whether that is a good or bad thing, though. As much as I wish people responded as much to my stories as they do to Amanda's, I'm also grateful that they don't and that I don't have to deal with everything else that goes on in the Manhattan food scene. I once wrote that it was a perfect example of too many dogs chasing too few bones and I still stand by that. It's nice to be in Los Angeles where I can be friends with everyone and not have to get involved in who isn't speaking to whom on this particular day.

I think Ruth taking over Gourmet has helped obviate the bias (though mainly in focusing on San Francisco ... she now seems to regard her time in Los Angeles as temps perdu).

I think most places in the country that aren't Manhattan have the same complaints. Restaurants in Washington don't get the credit they deserve (do they Mark and Steve?). I don't think Chicago does either. Somehow we all soldier bravely on, though, don't we?

What about my question #2 in the original post?

Also, in reply to your response, does this same bias apply to say the NY Times Food section getting more attention than the LA Times, which I think is fantastic . . . as you know.

I purposely avoided answering No. 2. One of the blessings of not living in Manhattan is not being surrounded by a "chattering class." Most of the people I think are the most interesting out here don't spend most of their time at the computer (note to self: check number of e-gullet posts you've made; determine own "interesting" factor). I would point out that la belle Wolfert who immediately preceeded me is a west coaster, though I think probably by coercion, though maybe not anymore. The folks who I think are most interesting out here are farmers, cheesemakers, winemakers, chefs. I think Michael Bauer has done this, hasn't he? Maybe Janet Fletcher? I know she always seems to be busy when I e-mail her, but that could be me. Carol Field has done this, hasn't she? It might be interesting to have Clifford Wright on ... he's certainly interesting enough and not afraid of taking a stand. What about Hal McGee? Did he do this?

As you can see, I'm stumbling.

As for our section vs. the NYT. Thanks for your kind words. I think this is a great section, certainly the equal of any in the country. I do wish people reacted to it the way they do the other Times, but on the other hand, I don't think I'd envy them that microscopic and, yes, at times, vitriolic attention.

And I guess the point I was trying to make in my last post is, in the end it's the work that matters. When I'm sitting at home writing, or researching, or cooking (well, I stand to cook), I never think about the competition at all. I think about writing something that makes me happy. Getting reaction is just the sprinkles on the icing on the great cake of art.

For those reading along, I'd like to add that every week JFLinLA contributes an LA Times Food Digest to eGullet's Food Media & News section. This is how we keep track of Russ and the others. It's a lot of work for JFLinLA to do this every week, so we hope you use it, enjoy it, and let us know that you do.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Oh geez, now I'm blushing. It's not about me or whatever. I think we have a great food scene in LA and a great food section in the LA Times. The food scene is great as much for the diversity of cuisines and terrific ingredients as it is for the great, high-caliber restaurants/chefs. Our food section is great because of folks like Russ and the rest of crew who work to make it that way. I signed up to do the digests in part to let the rest of the world know what I do about my home town and its newspaper's food section.

Okay, schedules being what they are, it will probably be late tomorrow before I can read, let alone post the Digest of todays LA Times Food Section. But, why wait for me? Go see what Russ and the rest of the team do so well here with the link to the whole darn section. Russ gets this week's cover story about folks catching sardines off the San Pedro coast.