• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Shouldn't you be out hunting the New Years first burger

Ahhhh, finally theclash joins in. :biggrin: Welcome.

First burger's happening, baby. Blue Smoke, day after tomorrow. Or should I be gorging myself now?

Happy New Year!

It's quiet around here. TOO quiet.

Well our evening has come to an end. We're home and the friends have left. All that's left is the dregs of Laurent Perrier.

Happy New Year y'all! :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

So, bloviatrix... can you explain to me why it is exactly why there are no good burgers in kosher places? I've been thinking about it and it just doesn't make sense to me. It's not like they're trying to beef for pork, or any other odd substitution. It's just beef and fire.

I don't get it.

So, bloviatrix... can you explain to me why it is exactly why there are no good burgers in kosher places?  I've been thinking about it and it just doesn't make sense to me.  It's not like they're trying to beef for pork, or any other odd substitution.  It's just beef and fire.

I don't get it.

Elyse, I have never had a kosher burger in a restaurant so, presuming your observation is correct, this could be because of the type of meat they are using. There are different kosher cuts that can be used. At home, the only chopped meat I use for burgers is a kosher mix that my butcher sells in packages -- neck and tenderloin -- and which I then form into thick burgers. I grill them medium rare, and they turn out juicy and flavorful. :wub:

Blue Smoke for Saturday, 1/3/04, at 1:00pm

Damn, we would have been able to make that one except for a relative's engagement brunch/party. Hmm, maybe it would be an excuse to leave early? :raz:

If Burger Club isn't an excuse to leave early, I don't know what is.  Come.

Ack. Can't come. If it were at 11 and we could go for an hour or so and then go to BC, fine. But it's at 1 PM. Who schedules a brunch for 1 PM?

rozrapp, it's not my observation in the slightest.

Elyse, I apologize if I inferred this incorrectly. Was that someone else's observation? Though I've been following the thread, I guess I might have missed it. In any event, my comment stands.

In order for Burger Club to work to my standards, I'd like anyone who wants to participate to have that chance. This means that for anyone who keeps kosher, they should suggest places where we can go, which might not be a total bust. bloviatrix had said how there are no good kosher burgers in town. That about brings us to where we were last night.

I was in the midst of long overview of kosher burgers when I suddenly I got knocked off my connection. So, here I go again.

I probably exaggerate when I say there are no good kosher burgers. It's just that I haven't had them -- we don't eat out a whole lot, and I'm not apt to order a burger if there's steak :laugh: . Most recently, the only place I've eaten a burger is Dougies, where they use what I assume to be pre-made patties which are really pretty awful.

With the exception of the steakhouses, I'm not sure who grinds their own beef. Le Marais (owned by the guys who own Les Halles) has a burger for $13.50 and Prime Grill has one as well (they don't include prices on the web site). As does Talia's. All three of these places only have the burger on their lunch menu.

Other places include Mendy's (of Seinfeld fame) and Mr. Broadway, which is a deli. I think they form their own patties, but I don't know about grinding the beef.

Then there are the kosher versions of Mickey Ds. Which, have their place, but if you really think about it, are awful.

You've got to remember that kosher food is a minimum of 30% more expensive than non-kosher. With meat the price differential will increase further (probably 50%), so if you're willing to push the price point beyond $10 we can try Le Marais. Otherwise, I would suggest Mr. Broadway - it's got surly waiters and good sour pickles and the fries are fairly good.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Yep. Kosher with orthodox superivision. This is just a smattering of kosher places Manhattan.

Well, I'll leave it to you if you want to find out a few more details like price (we don't want another Landmark, you know :rolleyes: ) and whatever else you may think of....

I'll bring up the list of places again.

Here are the suggestions so far:

Savoy

L'Express

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

Piper's Kilt

Thalia

Is this up to date? Suzanne?

Other suggestions should be added to the bottom of the list, please. :wub:

elyse +1

SuzanneF + HWOE

alacarte

Blondie

johnjohn

laurelmilan

Picaman

MHesse

forkAndPen

sherribabee

SobaAddict70

Lurker

Bond Girl

and, we hope, Dave the Cook and some or all of his crew.

as of 1/2, 10:30am

As for the list of places, I'm checking it (twice? hohoho)

I'm going to have to pull out of tomorrow unfortunately.

I had forgotten that I had made an appointment to see my personal trainer tomorrow at 2, and there's no way I'm going to be able to be at Blue Smoke and meet him in time for my appointment.

Hope you have a wonderful time in any event.

Soba