• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Double Butterflied Pork Loin

woodburner

I've just recently discovered the ease of preparation and glories of devouring, stuffed Loins.

After the loin was butterflied, it was easily brined, because of it's thickness. It was overstuffed with a spinach/honey stuffing, rolled and tied.

Searing the outside was done in a skillet and then roasted in the oven until al dente.

Anyone have any similar experiences?

woodburner

I would like some more details on what you did. Last week, they had boneless pork loin on sale for $1.99 a pound. Getting that hunk of meat for that price is about irresistable. I am always looking for other techniques. I usually cut off a few chops and do something with a small roast portion. Brineing is definitely in the program.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've been known to make a forcemeat of the trimmings, then press the rest of the ingredients into that before rolling back up and wrapping in caul fat. Problem however is that it has to be cooked through for the force to cook, and came out a little dry. Did you cook the roast through? What do you mean by al dente?

If it ain't fried it ain't food!

I would like some more details on what you did.

Fifi,

Buying the entire loin, like you did saves some hard earned dollars. We do the same thing, then cut to our liking and vacuum save the other roasts.

Click here for Double Butterflying Technique.

Cutting Detail

Woodburners Brine

One Gallon of Natural Spring Water

3/4 cup kosher salt

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup orange juice

1/3 cup cooking oil

Add salt to water, stir until dissolved

Then add remaining ingredients

Lay the pork out flat in a non-reactive container and completely submerge the loin with brine. Keep in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours.

Spinach Stuffing

Package of frozen spinach, defrosted and well drained

1/2 cup diced onions

2 Tbl. finely chopped garlic

1 cup bread crumbs

3 Tbl. Honey

Saute the onions in a bit of oil until translucent, add the garlic cook for just a few minutes then add the spinach, and just blanch. Remove from heat, add honey and mix in bread crumbs, until combined.

Remove the Pork from the brine, spread entire mixture over the loin. Roll the loin up back into a roast, and tie with kitchen twine ever few inches.

For cooking, I preheat the oven to about 325f, and in a large skillet, I use cast iron, brown the roast on all sides on top of the stove. Then move to the oven for cooking.

I cook this type of loin until it hits an internal temperature of 135f.

Eat.

woodburner

Did you cook the roast through? What do you mean by al dente?

cheftoad

Yes, after searing, I monitor the internal temperature with a digital remote. I use a final check with my thermapen, instant read.

I like to use 135 as my goal for this roast, just past pink.

Enjoyed reading your caul fat technique. I have heard from others it is a terrific procedure.

woodburner

Thanks for that butterflying technique. That looks a lot easier than what I have been doing.

I did an experiment with a pork roast on the smoker having brined it with added Goya bitter orange. The proportion was about what you have here. I concluded that I wanted more orange and that it was probably lost in the smoker. I vowed that next time I would "brine" in mostly the orange juice and reserve that technique for the oven. There is something about the orange and pork that is a match made in heaven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose