• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Texas sources for huitlacoche?

Richard Kilgore

I am interested in using huitlacoche. So lots of questions. Anyone know of Texas sources? On another thread I saw that it is available in Chicago at a farmers market, but in very limited quantities. How long is huitlacoche good? What the best way to store it?

Thanks Foodie52. I didn't know you can get it in a can. But since most things are better fresh, wouldn't huitlocoche be, too?

Any leads on fresh huitlacoche anywhere in Texas?

It is corn fungus. It grows in truly disgusting blackish blobs on the kernals of corn. It is also delicious. It is used somewhat like you would mushrooms.

I have never seen it fresh here. But then, I haven't looked all that hard, either. Someone might ask the produce manager at their local Fiesta. I am not planning on going there soon or I would ask.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It is corn fungus. It grows in truly disgusting blackish blobs on the kernals of corn. It is also delicious. It is used somewhat like you would mushrooms.

I have never seen it fresh here. But then, I haven't looked all that hard, either. Someone might ask the produce manager at their local Fiesta. I am not planning on going there soon or I would ask.

OH, the corn fungus. I've seen it on TV but never had a chance to try it.

Thanks

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Department of -- One person's disease is another's delicacy. :shock::biggrin:

A web search turned up over 1,500 pages for huitlacoche. It appears that the USDA has spent a lot of money for many years trying to eradicate corn smut, while Mexican farmers are overjoyed to see it on their crops. There are now experimental programs in the U.S. now for growing corn with smut. Here, even, are some huitlacoche recipes on a University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaigne food science site.

There are many, many recipes on the web in both Spanish and English.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

Click here for a fascinating discussion of the history of huitlacoche in the eGullet Mexico Forum. It's part of the "What's REAL Mexican Food" thread, and includes info on Mexican huitlacoche as well as the recent cultivation of corn smut in Spain for Mexican restaurants in Madrid.

The canned varieties of both huitlacoche and squash blossoms aren't that bad for a lot of purposes, even quesadillas. Up here in Portland, it's difficult to find the canned variety of either and whenever I see them at a Mexican market, I snatch them up. However, squash blossoms, thankfully, are widely available at farmer's markets fresh here. And we have a ton of farmer's markets. Never seen huitlacoche fresh even in the large markets of Mexico City and Guadalajara. I think it's about as common there as many wild mushrooms are here. Great stuff, though. It has the most interesting sweetness to it. Both items should definitely be experimented with. They both provide such unique flavor -- and in a good way. A little squash blossom in an enchilada sauce or table salsa can add a great flavor. Huitlacoche in an earthy braise can lend as much interest as truffle does with eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope theabroma finds this thread. On another one she mentioned that frozen huitlacoche is much, much better than canned. So does anyone know of a supplier for frozen in Texas?

• 1 month later...

Thanks to chefrodrigo for coming up with this Dallas source for frozen huitilochoche: Spice Air Unlimited. Unfortunately, it is shipped with a four pound minimum at $26 per pound. Spice Air Unlimited is a wholesale and retail produce supplier.

So the question remains, is there anywhere in Texas you can get fresh or frozen huitilocoche in smaller amounts?

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

I got an email from Tom at SpiceAirUnlimited.comand thought I would pass it on ---

oh yeah,

I have two, full blown ears of Fresh Huitlacoche lest from last nights, Central Market event "20 Years of Smoke & Spice" (I was the Spice portion) and have about 50# of frozen, premium off the cob.

best

Tom

Tom also mentioned that he can provide small, as well as large quantities of any of the great produce they grow and source from other growers.

Thanks, Tom. :smile:

I'll ask a favor here - Richard, are you there? - if someone in Texas is willing to contact a USDA office, the Plant Inspection people, and pin them down as to whether an individual can bring fresh Ustilago maydis (aka cuitlacoche) across the border, and get a name, rank, and serial number, I'll track some down in the market, pack it - or have it sealed - in plastic and bring it back with me in mid-December.

I am assuming the translation of the Nahuatl name is known? 'Sleeping Excrement of the Lords'? Isn't that just dandy? So for those of you who pale at the mention of 'corn smut', please rethink your position.

Typically in markets here (Mx) you see it in baskets, already shaved off the cob. And it is beautiful - charcoal and silver grey. But the first time that I confronted an entire ear of corn infected with it, I nearly threw up. It's kinda scary looking.

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum