• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF/Sonoma restaurants

Foodie-Girl

Charcoop,

I don't think you'll be disappointed at Acquerello.

Tana, have you been there recently? I really think their pasta is some of the best available these days.

I have only been to Farallon once, and was underwhelmed -- but it may have been an off night. I am consistently impressed by Delfina, however.

Squeat

Squeat Mumgry, it's because I had such a perfect and wonderful meal at Farallon (including an introduction to Gruner Veltliner wine) that I would want to return. We had fantastic service, as well. My best friend took me for a late birthday celebration in January. (Nine months late, to be exact.)

We shared:

• A dozen oysters (3 each of four varieties) and Gloria Ferrer sparkling brut

• Roasted baby beet & blood orange salad with Humboldt Fog goat cheese, upland cress (sort of a baby watercress), and Olivestri olio nuevo virgin olive oil

• Dungeness crab bisque with black truffle coulis

Lori's entrée: Seared New Zealand John Dory (fish) with caramelized cipollini onion jus, baby spinach, and red wine bone marrow butter.

My entrée: Grilled Hawaiian Ono with yellowfoot chantarelle mushrooms, cannellini beans, smoked bacon and aïoli.

I have wanted to go to Delfina ever since the farm dinner that Craig Stoll cooked in Bolinas. (Pictures of that dinner: the nettle pasta, the salmon/bean salad with Meyer lemon oil, and the artichokes were out of this world. I did not care for the dessert, however.)

Well, Charcoop, I just celebrated my 55th birthday with a wonderful meal at Firefly restaurant in the Noe Valley. You can link to their menu here. And if you are going to be there on a Sunday-Thursday night, don't pass up their incredible prix fixe deal -- one item each from the appetizer, entree and dessert offerings plus coffee or tea for $25.00!

--Nancy Berry

San Francisco

This is my first post here...but as a native San Franciscan, (family came in 1849) I still live most of the year in Sonoma,going back and forth between there and Santa Monica...I know a lot of the chefs in Sonoma...I can recommend...La Haye as someone above did..of course Della Santinas..also you should add...Deuce, which is one of our personal favs..and Le Poste..if going to Le Poste or La haye..make your reservations in advance..Le Poste because it is small and popular and La Haye because it is small and very very hot right now.

Well, Charcoop, I just celebrated my 55th birthday with a wonderful meal at Firefly restaurant in the Noe Valley. You can link to their menu here. And if you are going to be there on a Sunday-Thursday night, don't pass up their incredible prix fixe deal -- one item each from the appetizer, entree and dessert offerings plus coffee or tea for $25.00!

--Nancy Berry

San Francisco

Thanks for the suggestion!

This is my first post here...but as a native San Franciscan, (family came in 1849) I still live most of the year in Sonoma,going back and forth between there and Santa Monica...I know a lot of the chefs in Sonoma...I can recommend...La Haye as someone above did..of course Della Santinas..also you should add...Deuce, which is one of our personal favs..and Le Poste..if going to Le Poste or La haye..make your reservations in advance..Le Poste because it is small and popular and La Haye because it is small and very very hot right now.

We do have reservations at Le Poste and La Haye...Sure hope the weather cools down a little by the time we get there ( about October 10)

:biggrin: Just got back from San Francisco. I will describe the dishes I had in

detail when I get my notes back:

#1 Restaurant Fifth Floor, outstanding- my favorite for dinner, perfect...

#2 Gary Danko , outstanding, dinner.

#3 Boulevard, great lunch, tournedos rosini

#4 I would avoid McCormick, on fishermans's warf, a tourist trap, fish was o.k.

and not so good, poor service, cold bread, on and on, no clams in clam chowder.

View is great. Very disappointing.

#5 Scalas, Italien. Some good and some bad, watch what you order.

I had too high expectations of McKormick and Kuleto's. My husband said, "When you

enter the restaurant, from the bar, it's reminescent of a sports bar. The staff are NOT

SERIOUS about their job. Once seated McKormick's tries to present the illusion of a fine

dining establishment, it may work for some." Perhaps dining at some great restaurants the day before and after dwarfted the experience. Here's why I was

disappointed: I'm looking forward to my first taste of San Francisco bread. WARMED

would have been my preference. I've had better SF Bread. I get the clam chowder, or

should I say potato chowder, I counted TWO clams in my soup, AND no cracked pepper

was offered. The service was terrible, for 2p.m. non-rush. I always had great service

at Tadich Grill. However, the view was a 10. Boats, swimmers, Alcatraz, panoramic

scenery. The oysters were fresh. The food: My husband said his Ono was overcooked and the breading had already fallen off the fish on arrival. My Halibut

cheek was very good. I just expected great service, and a great fish "plate". So we

decided not to order Lobster since things weren't going well. My other restaurants

FAR EXCEEDED my expectations and I loved those! So I will report on those later.

Last complaint: Scala's Bistro. I felt the menu selection was so limited for a

restaurant that size. I went with a party of 10 people. The fig salade was very

good, as well as the ravioli's in a cream sauce. I had the gazpacho for starters, and it

was pretty flavorless, as well as the green goddess salade, lacked flavor, and I

returned the octopus salade, it was the worst smelling dish,and taste that I can

remember in years, and I was not alone on opinion. In fact I didn't feel good after,

and cancelled my order. My husband thought I was going to get sick. I tried a

teaspoon of everyone's desserts, and we thought they were all uneventful. The service was not great either. He kept on forgetting and bringing dishes late. One

person with no food while everyone else is eating. So I would say it had some

good points and some bad points. But is this really Italien food?

Guess what! A very large restaurant where everything is fresh and seasonal. No microwave either. If you didn't like the octopus, you should have sent it back, and told your server. Chef Staffan Terje is a very talented chef. Their seafood is better then Farallon.

Guess what! A very large restaurant where everything is fresh and seasonal. No microwave either. If you didn't like the octopus, you should have sent it back, and told your server. Chef Staffan Terje is a very talented chef. Their seafood is better then Farallon.

Is Scala's still owned by Donna and Giovanni? I was there shortly after it first opened and it was pretty good, altho I didn't order any octopus.

In the Sonoma (sort of)area or at least in the bay area, there's a place in Inverness (which is near Tomales Bay) called Mankas Lodge. Absolutely wonderful, romantic place with superb food and service. It's sort of hard to find if it's dark, but it's so worth it!

KarenS, I did send the octopus back, (quietly) and I was wondering how far I was

from the restroom, could I make it there. Something definatley tasted bad, I have

learned to cook octopus this year, ( nothing to it!) So it could have been a fluke.

Once I ate a cooked mussel, and unfortunately it slipped down the throat before I

was able to stop the bad mussel. And out it came in the parking lot, only the mussel,

not even the entire dinner.

So I hope not to offend anyone here, because my meal wasn't so great. And I think we only had one server for 10 people, he never brought my 7 ups ( and it was my boss

who took us out, so I didn't want anyone to know my stomach was upset from the fish- and make them feel bad).

The buffalo mozzarella was the freshest, I asked them if they made it there, they said no. I asked where I could get it, they didn't know. So what's good on the menu?

Is Scala's still owned by Donna and Giovanni? I was there shortly after it first opened and it was pretty good, altho I didn't order any octopus.

In the Sonoma (sort of)area or at least in the bay area, there's a place in Inverness (which is near Tomales Bay) called Mankas Lodge. Absolutely wonderful, romantic place with superb food and service. It's sort of hard to find if it's dark, but it's so worth it!

Mankas was very over-rated based on our one visit. Hard to find, luke-warm service to match the food..

:biggrin: Just got back from San Francisco.  I will describe the dishes I had in

detail when I get my notes back: 

#1 Restaurant  Fifth Floor, outstanding- my favorite for dinner, perfect...

#2 Gary Danko , outstanding, dinner.

#3 Boulevard, great lunch, tournedos rosini

#4 I would avoid McCormick, on fishermans's warf, a tourist trap, fish was o.k.

and not so good, poor service, cold bread, on and on, no clams in clam chowder.

View is great.  Very disappointing.

#5 Scalas, Italien.  Some good and some bad, watch what you order.

Boulevard is great..been there a few times. We have reservations at Gary Danko...can't wait !

:biggrin: Boulevard for lunch:

Great food, perfectly prepared, a snazzy decor, and an on-top-of-it waiter.

I like the revolving door as you enter, and the mosaics on the floor. Great

men's bathroom.

Starters: Clams cassino (I'm in S.F.!)

A goat cheese-onion fig tart (great crust)

Lobster bisque with chantrelles and the freshest sweetest

crunchiest corn. (I generally do not like whole corn in my soup, this

changed my mind)

Meal: Tournedos Rossini, surrounded by minute chantrelles (BUTTER!!)

Dessert: Cheese selection with grapes and almonds

Sur la Table is across the street one block.

Suggestion: Instead of the bread displayed on the wall in iron baskets, it

should be warmed in the oven. Why not ask your server to do this for you. :rolleyes:

:biggrin: The Fifth Floor Restaurant

I had Five waiters. They were exceptionally personable, I got to know a

little about them; where they were married, new 4 mo. old son, from England,

married to the bartender, etc. etc. this makes it special for me. I was very

surprised how friendly people are in S.F. !

The decor is romantic and dramatic, black and white animal pattern carpeting,

red walls, beautiful linen. It's possible to have a quiet relaxing conversation here.

I had Llanllyr bottled water. Organic water from an 800 year old spring in Whales.

Bread: WARMED olive bread and wheat bread.

Little starter: Honey chicken in a broth.

Chef's Tasting:

SCALLOP: One scallop in a passion fruit vanilla bean reduction

SKATE: In a terryiyaki sauce

LOBSTER CAPPUCCINO: Pieces of lobster and shrimp in the bowl,

with a cognac chestnut broth.

FOIE GRAS: (Ordered additional to tasting). Two sauces, a brown

reduction sauce, and a sweet English pea chantrelle reduction with

tapioca pearls. Very savory, really bringing out the best flavors.

PORK BELLY: Neman ranch pork. With black peppercorns, and black

truffle jus. (This is a special cooking process, 2 days in a low temp.

water bath).

Served with: Braised white asparagus cut on the bias, in a truffle

vinaigrette. (This caught my attention because it was flavorful, the

pepper dissolves beautifully, and it was a very tender morsel.

Complimentary WATERMELON SOUP, with Straus Natural Farms Sherbert

(a yogurt, not cream).

DESSERT:

VALHRONA CHOCOLATE MOUSSE, with a passionfruit sauce.

Also we ordered (pigs) The APPLE DESSERT: Fugi apples, peeled and cooked,

with a Sabayon, Riesling sauce poured on top, also served with pastry AND a

green apple sorbet. (tastes better than it reads, great.)

I really wanted to try the Lobster and the Prime Rib had a cherry reduction sauce.

So I will definately return. It was a great evening.

sauce, so I will definately be back.