• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berkeley Cheese Board

For cheese board fans (or critics), please add your posts so our distinguished NYC moderator can decide whether to visit the people's republic to see how well the masses are fed in Berkeley.

I was last there on Wednesday.  As usual, I missed the pizza hours (11:30 to 2:00, 4:30 to 7).  This time however, I kept myself busy after the cheese tasting and purchase by visiting North Berkely Wine (and gazing upon the temple that is Chez Panisse (both across the street).

First the cheese.  This place will give you a taste of everything in a fashion that ensures no guilt molecules  are produced.  Furthermore, as a single grazer, It's hard to get an assortment of cheese without buying 4 pounds.  Not here.  

For my midafternoon snack, I craved some goat cheese.  They had about 20 varieties, and gave me several tastes.  Then on to some hard cheese (tasting about 4 before selecting one).  Here's what I got:

1/4 of Redwood Hill Chabis:  I often don't get Redwood Hill because it's usual young age, but this was at a perfect state of affinage.  Also, where else can you get a quarter of one of these small rounds, it's usually hard enough to get a half.  Perfect slightly tangy goat cheese, a little runny at the edge like a good Boucheron.

1/4 block of Lingot: A new French goat cheese for me, not in any of my books.  Half way between Boucheron and a goat brie. Really Awesome.  Definitely one to look out for.

Toscana (aged): An artisanal Peccorino from Tuscany, a little milder than I might have prefered, but very fine.  Not too salty some some of the lesser Peccorino's.  Since  my wife love's sheep cheese, I had to bring one.  Got to try their Manchego, Osseraty, etc. before I settled.

Hoch YBrig;  Well, that's what the hand label said!  An aged gouda, very complex, superb, not quite as over the top as some other very old goudas (a good thing for me).

Prima Donna:  Another new discovery.  Hand made in Italy.  All I can think of to describe it is a blend between aged gouda, aged comte and a third part aged provolone.  Absolutely fabulous.

I was helped by Artie, who is not only incredibly knowledgeable and with good taste, but can actually give 2-3oz portions of many cheeses for fanatics like me who need portion control.

As for bread, they bake amazing bread right there.  And they have "baguette pieces" which are sort rolls with the texture of the baguettes they sell.  Perfect for the cheese nosh.  I also got a cheese roll (outstanding) and a cheese scone (very good, interesting marriage of two food groups).

Now on to the pizza, just next door.  They are the epitome of California pizza, what Wolfgang Puck occassionally gets to, they produce regularly.

They have one selection each day.  On Wednesday it was Roma tomato with mozzarella, roasted onion,  feta, arugula, and lemon zest.  Believe it or not, the lemon zest was the perfect ingredient to take the pizza to the next level.  An incredibly well balanced super fresh spring day on a slice.

A word on the crust:  Perfect.  Thin, zero tip droop.  The type you read about in the pizza threads on the NYC board when they wax nostalgic about the pizza of their childhood.  

Anyone else have a comment to post!

beachfan

Coincidentally, I had the Prima Donna at Artisanal in New York the other day. But if my brain is working, and if the Artisanal guy told the truth, it's from Holland not Italy.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Your description sounded similar to my own experience of the cheese, so I think you may be talking about the same thing I am. Let us know what your telephone research yields, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You are right, it's Dutch

Now what was the Ialian cheese?  Maybe the label that looked like Hoch yBrig was Malga, one of the three handmade hard Itlain cheeses that they mentioned.

I need a stenographer to accompany me.

beachfan

• 2 months later...

I went back on Friday. Just as good as ever. The Lingot is now my favorite cheese all-time. I also got another goat cheese (name slips my tongue, fairly common in France, somewhat thin disk, ash coverd, .....sur chelles....something or other) which, while not rare, was in perfect affinage. Throw in a slice of Sardo from Tuscany, and WHAM! cheese heaven.

The service hear is unparalleled. After I paid for the cheese, I asked the server what her favorites were "for next time". And I got to taste a few more.

Also, the bread the bake on premises is excellent and of many varieties. And they have "baguette" ends, which are baguette rolls, perfect for having with a cheese snack.

By the way, the pizza this time was Roma tomatoes (super!), gruyere, onions, mozzarella, rosemary, garlic and a couple of other nice touches. Not as incredible as the one I posted below (unless you are a big gruyere fan) but very, very very good. And they alway throw in an extra half slice to your order.

beachfan

I visited Dean and DeLucca in St. Helena today and could do a direct comparison to the Cheese Board, at least for goat cheeses.

Selection = Dean and DeLucca had about 20% more types

Price = Dean and DeLucca was about 35% more expensive

Affinage= Cheese Board was perfect, D&D a little young

World Class Pizza = Da Board!

I like cheese.

beachfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Berkeley and I agree that the Cheese Board rocks!

I also adore the Beverly Hills Cheese Shop. Maybe not as funky, but such great stuff and a very helpful staff. Without a doubt the finest retail establishment in BH.

If only they were open on Sunday!