• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick Cheap Easy Ways to Improve Your Kitchen

Fat Guy

Rack/grid/board systems are great for covering up backsplashes and unsightly walls, and giving a more pro- look to the kitchen. Pot-racks are also great if you have ceiling or wall space to accommodate them -- they really draw visual attention, especially if you hang some copper pieces in the most visible spots.

Now Mr. tommy, about those countertops . . . Assuming you're not going to tile them on account of the PITA sink situation, go out and get yourself either some really big wood cutting boards or some marble or granite slabs to cover up as much of the visible area of the countertop as possible. This, combined with a tiled backsplash, will do the trick. Note there are some wood cutting boards with a lip that goes over the countertop edge -- this is a particularly nice feature for covering up some of that ugly-ass laminate.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Note there are some wood cutting boards with a lip that goes over the countertop edge -- this is a particularly nice feature for covering up some of that ugly-ass laminate.

IKEA carries one that is thick, quite large and a major bargain (I think it was $14.95).

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Note there are some wood cutting boards with a lip that goes over the countertop edge -- this is a particularly nice feature for covering up some of that ugly-ass laminate.

IKEA carries one that is thick, quite large and a major bargain (I think it was $14.95).

IKEA has, IMO, the best bargain on real end-grain cutting boards to be found.

--

Formica is a brand name of high pressure decorative laminate as are Nevamar, Wilsonart, Pionite, Abet Laminati (very cool patterns) and others. All are intended to be used over a structural substrate. Some have solid color throughout, so you don't see the edge in contrast, some are chemical resistant, fire rated, or static-dissipative. Melamine is a thermoset decorative overlay - pre-laminated to substrate and far more limited in color and pattern.

Too much information - but since we are supposed to pay attention to copyrights and registered brand names....

Edited by tsquare (log)

Whatever it is, it's glued to the wall with construction adhesive, so kiss your sheetrock goodbye if you pull it off.

that's good to know. hell, it might even be plaster back there, which would be even more of a mess. i think i'll leave the mystery white stuff up. :smile:

Instead of the Tile - get some sheets of 304 stainless and screw them into the formica covered wood. Any sheet metal fab place can cut to spec (even outlets) What's the square footage ? With all the pieces cut, you could install all of them in less than an hour with a drill driver and some brass screws.

Edit: Can you put anything behind that one corner (i.e. a steel ruler) It may not be glued but merely anchored in place with screws or lags

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I have restaurnat mats in the cooking area of my kitchen...the black ones with the holes in them. You just lift them up and sweep under them every other day, and hose them down every month.I hose them down in the summer, stick them in the shower in the winter. Plus, they make a big difference when you are standing in front of the stovetop or sink or prepping..really comfortable. This works asthetically ( I know I did not spell that right) because I have a white/black/stainless kitchen with a battleship grey floor.

Great idea Gordon. If you do that, in that warped section you can snug the laminate back to the substrate (maybe with construction adhesive and ringshank nails?) before installing the overlay. For installing the sheetmetal, you might consider stainless, flat-head deck screws and countersunk finishing washers. The screw heads wont be hidden but I think it is a nice finished look.

A sheetmetal shop should be able to do really nice, crisp, right angle bends to cover up the edges in that section that runs down the left wall and comes out from underneath the counter.

You might want to do a full scale mockup in kraft paper or something similar to minimize the chance of error.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

A sheetmetal shop should be able to do really nice, crisp, right angle bends to cover up the edges in that section that runs down the left wall and comes out from underneath the counter.

You might want to do a full scale mockup in kraft paper or something similar to minimize the chance of error.

I would add that you should call around to a few places and do not use the word "kitchen". It some times can triple the price. The estimates for my kitchen were from 275.00 - 1100.00 inclusive of materials.

I would add that you should call around to a few places and do not use the word "kitchen". It some times can triple the price.

this rings so true. why is it? a kitchen cabinet (or, ugly word) unit seems to cost three times what a cupboard of similar spec would cost.

i like the idea of the stainless steel wall/splashback. have you got any pictures of one you've done/seen? and, being on the wall, does it avoid the problem of SS surfaces which require 24/7 cleaning?