• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Rec's in Philly...

Brad Trent

It's been waaaaay too long since I've been to Philly so I'm sure any places I might know are long gone and I'm only in town for one night (this Saturday)...I'm a big wine geek but as long as I'm not stuck looking at a wine list that features Mondavi Coastal Cab I'll be fine! Basically all I want a cool-as-all-get-out, hip & trendy place to relax, eat good food and spend my clients money after what is prolly gonna be a long set-up day!

Any Ideas?!!

BeeT's

PS: And yes, Morimoto is FULLY booked already!

I'm more of a chocolate malted than a wine type of guy, but when it comes to wine, my top of mind beyond places like Le Bec-Fin, is Panorama at Front and Market. But it's been a while since I've been there and I'm not up to date on their kitchen.

Maybe others hereabouts have more current info.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

don't forget about the striped bass.  seems appropriate for what you're looking for.

Thanks Tommy! Lest I be accused of being a Shameless Shill... :laugh:

I'd also recommend Pasion, Alma de Cuba or Rouge as hip happening places to have a nice glass of wine and some good eats.

{full disclosure - one is another of my employers' restaurants and another is a former employer. Others will hopefully back me up on the accuracy of my descriptions as fitting your stated criteria}

Brad - feel free to PM me if you need some assistance.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Rouge has a fine wine list, I was there about three weeks ago. Striped Bass has one of the best lists in the city.

Rouge has a wall of large French doors which open up onto the sidewalk cafe. Since you're a few feet up so you have a good view of the crowd on the street, activity in Rittenhouse square. Menu has interesting choices, wine list is good, desserts are good, bar scene is impressive and upscale.

Ms Shill, does rouge have a website? I didn't find one in my quick search

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rouge has a fine wine list, I was there about three weeks ago.  Striped Bass has one of the best lists in the city.

Rouge has a wall of large French doors which open up onto the sidewalk cafe. Since you're a few feet up so you have a good view of the crowd on the street, activity in Rittenhouse square.  Menu has interesting choices, wine list is good, desserts are good, bar scene is impressive and upscale.

no, there's just the mealticket.org website, the corporate parent, i believe.

there's always citysearch for other info.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The Mealticket, Inc. website is currently not functional due to a domain dispute with a disgruntled ex-employee. :angry:

Unfortunately, Herb is correct. You have to rely on other sources of information for the moment. I'll update as soon as there's a change.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol