• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite NW Coffee

Someone on the New York board mentioned an incredible dinner at an expensive restaurant that finished with the usual crappy cup of espresso. Living in Seattle we've come to expect great coffee (or so we think) on every corner, and restaurants here are likely to have a quality product to round out their best food efforts. Even the worst coffee bars are pretty good.

What are your favorite brands/locations for great coffee? Any restaurants really getting it right with coffee service? Any of them doing anything weird or exceptional?

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Let the trashing of Starbucks, SBC, Tully's and any other company with more than two locations begin!! :wink:

I love coffee, but generally think the quality differences between various coffee shops and better restaurants is exagerated. I did have a killer cup of extremely bold coffee at Porta last time I was there. They have a coffee shop attached to the restaurant, so I assume its an in-house product.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Seattle Coffee drinkers, are more demanding,we expect to receive what we order. However we are also aware of the type of roasting method to expect from most purveyors. Tully's Roast, SBC, or Starbuck's are so different that drinkers who prefer brand A, just won't drink Brand B. When we try a Independent Roaster, it's generally with hopefull anticipation, often we are pleased, other times disappointed, but ready to try again. Everybody 's looking on the other side of the rainbow. We also often have favorite Barista's who know how to do it our way. They actually like good bartenders, have client's follow them wherever the are behind the machine. The only thing you can be sure of is that when Independants stay in business longer then a few months they must be doing something right.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I like strong, bold coffee so I tend to favor the dark city roasts of Starbucks. When I purchase whole bean coffee for home, I have them mix up a custom blend of 3/4 Sumatra and 1/4 Italian.

However, I also like Peets flavors and the Torrefazione Italia in my office building has a nice flavor, too, but could be stronger for my taste.

Does anyone have any bold coffee places they would recommend? Or coffee places with bold coffee?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

I personally prefer to drink stronger [that doesn't mean darker] coffee then any one i'm aware of. The "Starbuck's' method of Roasting evolved from "Peet's". The original roaster/partner at Starbuck's who had learned to Roast and been a employee of "Peets", returned to the bay area and purchased "Peets". I ordered mail shipped coffee from Peets for years until the finally began serving Seattle from the "Larry's" locations, but still preferred shipping from the main office. Now i've finally found a way to really get my caffine blast, with the darkest, richest, meanist coffee ever. I shop in the International District where I can buy "Cafe du Monde", New Orleans Roast Coffee with Chicory. I mix this with French Roast or Night Roast Coffee. Since it's not ground fine enough for expresso it use a Melita #6 Filter, to make a full Carafe, with about 12 OZ. of the two Coffees mixed. Man is it Black and Rich. I'm sure anyone can adjust for their own taste. Remember this is the prefered [Cafe du Monde] coffee brand for most Vietmanesse Coffees served. Just think Vietnam is now the Worlds second largest Coffee producer/grower.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Vivace makes what I would say is the best cuppa joe I've had in the city. Not to mention the most beautiful. check it out here.

I like Vivace a lot, although I don't make it there as often as I should considering I work just down the street. If avatars ever come back, I may have to use one of their pictures for mine. :cool:

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I really like Diva Espresso. I know they have locations in Greenwood, Greenlake, West Seattle and North Seattle. They may have others but I'm not aware of them. They roast their own beans and give great descriptions of the type of bean and roast used in their blends. I used to drink nothing but latte's but Diva (and Alton Brown) taught me to appreciate a great cup of brewed coffee.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Vivace makes what I would say is the best cuppa joe I've had in the city. Not to mention the most beautiful. check it out here.

Not ten minutes after I read this thread, a co-worker handed me the September issue of National Geographic Traveler which has an article on Seattle. The front page of the article has the picture of cappuccino that is on Vivace's website and a blurb about them.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting