• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Caterers

Kim WB

I am hosting an event that obligates me to use a caterer from their approved list, at an outdoor location.

If anyone has opinions or feedback on any of these, I would appreciate any info you have. I am interested specifically in very high end, premium product ...no sandwiches, crudites, antipasta platters need apply. Hot food a must.

I will of course request menus and referrals, but it's an extensive list and any assistance in narrowing it down would be greatly appreciated!

24 Cabot-Raritan

Butler's Pantry-Far Hills

Califon Fine Foods-Califon

Catered Affair-Florham Park

Corporate Cafe- Mt. Arlington

Country Picnic-Bedminster

Crystal Bay-Parsippany

Exquisite Entertaining- Millburn

Feast Catering-Westfield

First Avenue Caterers- Denville

Food Company-Cranford

Grillmaster-Bedminster

Growth Caterers-Basking Ridge

Kings Catering- Short Hills

Monterey Gourmet- Bernardsville

NY Caterers and Party Planners- NYC

Ocean Place Conference Resort- Long Branch

Ome Caterers- Whippany

P and V Enterprises- NYC

Redwoods- Chester

Shefield's- Mountainside

Stage Left- New Brunswick

Tim Schafer's Cuisine- Morristown

Watson's- Greenwich, CT

Zappia's- Summit

kim -

where is the affair being held? that may help narrow down a bit.

these are from all over. know corporate cafe from mt. arlington - ok but probably not what you are looking for. they did a function for one of the historical groups in the area but was more like what you aren't looking for.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

These are the approved vendors for an event in Far Hills..but Caterer's location is not an issue..they will all be on site the day of the event..it's a large tail-gating like event, but taken to the nth degree, if you know what I mean.

Good..Corporate Cafe, one less business to contact and request menus..though I would have most likely omitted them based on their name! :laugh:

Kings Catering- Short Hills--seems that they would be reliable

Monterey Gourmet- Bernardsville--they have a good reputation and are near the area you are having the event

Redwoods- Chester--never had their food but they are in Chester.

Stage Left- New Brunswick--imagine the food would be very good. Have you eaten at the restaurant

Tim Schafer's Cuisine- Morristown--I like his cuisine. He is known as the brew chef and he has a home page.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Growth Caterers-Basking Ridge

Kings Catering- Short Hills

Monterey Gourmet- Bernardsville

Ocean Place Conference Resort- Long Branch

Stage Left- New Brunswick

Tim Schafer's Cuisine- Morristown

Let's try this again... I got booted off this thing as I was completing my first attempt to respond.

Here's what I can tell you about these places, for what it's worth:

Growth Caterers: Related to Willie's Taverne, The Store, The Famished Frog, and The Thirsty Turtle. Never tried anything they've catered, but the restaurants are short of "high-end." Probably worth a call, though.

Kings: We once had a Thanksgiving Dinner at one of Ken's cousins that was catered by Kings and it was pretty tasty. Again, worth a call.

Monterey Gourmet: Never been to any of their events, but soeone in my needlepoint giuld often brings something from them to the annual holiday potluck. Can't beat convenient location!

Ocean Place: This used to be a Hilton, I think. I attended a conference there several years ago and food/setups were good. Might be good for you?

Stage Left: One of our favorite restaurants. From what we've seen of them at tasting events (Soup Kitchen fundraiser, restaurant tasting event in New Brunswick last summer), presentation looks like it might fit your fill.

Tim Schafer's: Another place we like. Hey, anyplace that says, "Come on over" in the midst of a blizzard... :rolleyes: Again, from what we've seen of them at tasting events, definitely worth an inquiry.

Hope this helps a little. Be sure to tell us what you decide!

can't say anything about these caterers.

just that a key point that shouldn't be left out is how good their catering staff is.

their restaurant side may be putting out manna, but be sure they have their shit down on the catering side.

worked with le bec fin's staff once when someone wanted them to cater a wedding. they didn't have any clue about catering. FOH or BOH.

guess that's why i was there, to bail them out. and it only semi-worked.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

can't say anything about these caterers.

just that a key point that shouldn't be left out is how good their catering staff is.

their restaurant side may be putting out manna, but be sure they have their shit down on the catering side.

worked with le bec fin's staff once when someone wanted them to cater a wedding.  they didn't have any clue about catering. FOH or BOH.

guess that's why i was there, to bail them out.  and it only semi-worked.

Yes, that's my hesitations with Stage Left, I enjoy their food at home base...but can they travel well? Previous Caterers have all been Caterers only..they need to have the resources to bring the stoves to the spot, impeccable prep and packaging of the food, set up, timing, and a smiling staff...still seeking opinions, specifically from anyone who has used the Catering services of Schafer or Stage Left? Thanks everyone for the input so far.

I've used both Growth and Ome. My experience with Growth was several years ago, before they owned as many restuarants and it was excellent. I 've used Ome twice this year. The service is excellent, they're great to work with and my guests enjoyed the food.

Thanks all...

I've decided to request menus from Shafer, Stage Left, Growth, and Ome. I've used Ome the last three years, and have been happy, but I'm always looking to stay ahead of the curve...Stage Left is a new addition this year, so we'll see what they have to offer, and I'll keep you aprised. Thanks again for all your input.

We've also used OME at a few company functions (same captive caterer situation) and found them to be very agreeable on custom needs.

They're willing to let you suggest special needs (kosher style or vegetarian, etc) appropriate to the situation.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo