• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Paris in August?

magnolia

Thanks to all for the suggestions about where to go as a 'day trip from Paris'. As it turns out, due to pet-sitting responsibilities and work schedule, I didn't have a chance to venture out after all. But we had a fantastic time.

I’ve only been to Paris in August for a couple of days at a time in the past, never for a week. I was under the impression that ‘anyone who’s anyone’ heads out of the city, and was in a bit of a food panic. What would I eat? Where would I eat? Surely I would starve ! It's true, most things are closed. The markets were there but ‘thinned out’. Most restaurants and food shops (indeed all other kinds of shops too, clothing, cleaners, salons) that are not located in the centre or around the major hotels, were shuttered.

But the weather was fantastic and we had Paris almost completely to ourselves – no traffic, few pedestrians once we left the main drags. And where something was open – museums, grands magasins – including La Grande Epicerie and Galerie Lafayette Gourmet – the crowds were minor, and expressed the same smug, secretly ‘knowing’ glances that New Yorkers who remain in the City in August do, as if to say ‘what’s the fuss about getting out of here? There’s more for us’.

As for food, all I can say is a little research and flexibility goes a long way. I used my 2002 Pudlo and had a list of places that were meant to be open. However, not all of them stuck to the printed vacation schedule, as guidebooks are written far in advance of their publication date, the information even in the most trustworthy ones is a) subject to change and b) sometimes more than a year and half old by the time it’s printed c) just plain wrong – so best to call in advance to find out the vacation schedule. For example, mine indicated that La Cave à L’Os à Moelle (L’Os à Moelle-“lite”) would be open, but that L’Os à Moelle would be closed for August – this didn’t really make sense at it’s owned/operated by the same people, and indeed, both were closed at least for the week I was there.

When we weren’t picnicking or making a meal out of ice cream (Newsflash: Berthillon may be closed but it’s not the only game in town!), we went to the following restaurants, I’d readily return to all except possibly Bistrot de Champêtre, as they each surprised us in some way.

Monday dinner

Bistro Champêtre (rue Saint-Charles, 15th) – if this were a gastropub in London (indeed, it looks like an about-to-be-renovated 70’s pub) it would be packed every night and held up as a model of what London needs more of (except of course for the prices, they’d be pretty painful for pub grub). However, for Paris it was a bit disappointing – I guess after all these years I am eternally optimistic that almost every place I eat will have something to recommend it - in this case, the service was good, the portions, large. But the food was bland and boring. I wrote down what we ate, otherwise I would not remember… magret de canard (distinguishable by its size); a lamb dish about which we can recall nothing else; and a Baba au Rhum which was too sweet (the rum should speak for itself).

Tuesday lunch

Swann et Vincent – a pretty Italian restaurant near the Viaduct in the 12th, on rue Saint-Nicolas – with its tile floors and high ceilings, is cool and welcoming on a hot day, Food is fresh, simple and home-made. We had a plate of fried sardines, and one of just-wilted spinach with shavings of parmesan, followed by gnochetti” with pesto and tagliatelle carbonara, and a half carafe of Chianti. A perfect lunch – if you can follow with a snooze ! And I think there are one or two other Swann et Vincents around.

Wednesday dinner

We hit pay dirt. The day before, we had been searching for an open bakery, and we passed a restaurant whose name, Stéphane Martin, I recognised from my guide. It was being renovated which surprised me because the book said it had just been renovated. I asked if it was changing hands and in fact one of the people doing renovations was the chef/owner, and he said definitely not – and that it would be open the next day (turns out it had been renovated last two years prior, and the info in the 2002 guide was therefore a bit out of date). Although I thought it was highly unlikely that it would be ready (it really looked like a construction site) I called for a dinner reservation.

When we arrived, it didn’t even smell like paint. It’s a small restaurant, maybe 25 covers divided between two rooms. Only two of the other tables were occupied. There was a set menu of three courses for €29 (plus an extremely fair £3.50 supplement for a couple of things), and each course offered three or four choices. For starters, E. had langoustine ravioli in an oil and basil sauce, and I chose marinated sardines. Both were delicious but the ravioli were exquisite. We were also offered a couple of amuse-gueules, home-made cheese sticks and some stuffed olives. For the main dish, I wanted to try a signature dish, a braised jarret of porc with spiced honey, but it was for two and he wasn’t game. So I had the had a “moelleux de homard” and he had a “rable de lapin” (saddle). I didn’t regret my choice – the moelleux was amazing, a reduction of the lobster mixed into creamy mashed potatoes, with large chunks of lobster. The head of the lobster was positioned at the side of the plate like the ornamental carved stern of a dragon boat. I’d say this was the best main dish of the week. I am not a rabbit fan, and E. declared it ‘perfect’ – it was wrapped in bacon. But he certainly paid a lot of attention to my moelleux ! All was washed down by a half-bottle of 2000 Pouilly Fumé. For dessert, I had a tarte aux mirabelles – those little yellow plums I have only ever seen in France in August – and he had a banana sliced roasted and served in its skin, with a sauce caramel and pine nuts. Post-dessert amuses included truffles; sesame brittle; and tiny cannelles.. This was top-notch cooking at bargain-basement prices – the entire meal came to around than €85, including water, wine and service, and served in calm, relaxing and friendly surroundings.

Thursday dinner

I had heard that the ‘les Bouchons’ chain of bistros – there are about six ? of them - stayed open in August, and that the wine list was interesting. We chose the one nearest us, Les P’tits Bouchons on Blvd Montparnasse, and went for dinner the next day. If it hadn’t been August, I wouldn’t have chosen to sit outside on this busy avenue. But it was really quiet. As a starter, I had tuna marinated with bean sprouts and dry noodles in a gingery-soy sauce, which was great, and E. had a cold cucumber soup with scoops of melon with tomato/basil sorbet. I’d say this was the starter of the trip. For my main, I chose confit de canard, which was huge, rich and unctuous – though I guess not really a summer dish (though casting an eye over what I ate, nothing was very summery !) and he had veal with gnocchi and mushrooms – I’m not a veal fan but he said it was good. The other star of the meal (and of the week) was my dessert, a moelleux of chocolat (I guess moelleux was a theme), the perfect just-solid outside with melted chocolate inside, served with pain d’épice ice cream (a cross between gingerbread and spice cake). E ordered a ‘vacherin with raspberry coulis’ which we expected to be some intriguing preparation using vacherin cheese. As it was, there was not a hint of cheese in any of it – it was more like a Pavlova, with meringue bits layered with raspberry. But by then, after a bottle of Condrieu Jean-Luc Colombo 2001, we were too sated and happy to bother to ask ‘where’s the Vache’.

Friday dinner

I had been hearing non-stop from E. about how he coveted my moelleux de homard, so we called Stéphane Martin to find out a) if they had any tables left for that evening and b) if moelleux was still on the menu. Yes to both, so we returned. The heat had taken the edge off our hunger, so we ordered à la carte this time, but from the same menu. We skipped the starters, and E had the moelleux de homard, and I had a fabulous pavé de foie gras - a very large portion of pan-fried foie served with match stick potatoes and peppery leaves – not arugula but similar. The waiter recommended an excellent Wolfberger Rangen Tokay Pinot Gris 1997, on the menu for €50, and I’m told normally costs at least 1/3 more in shops. Same amuses as on the previous visit, and even one other familiar group of diners (this time the restaurant was half full. So much for eating light - for dessert, we shared a plate of cheese and a refreshing apple tart and went away happy once again. Not sure what it will be like when the neighbors come back from holiday – but I’m looking forward to going back next chance I have.

Saturday dinner:

This was our last night, and I decided to do something completely out of character: i.e. picking a restaurant based on location, location, location. I booked Le Ciel de Paris, on the 56th floor of the Tour Montparnasse, which I thought would be like eating at a latterday Tavern on the Green – i.e. beautiful setting, unbeatable view, food is beside the point. In my albeit limited experience, of the handful of restaurants-with-a-view in which I’ve eaten, only Windows on the World (RIP) succeeded in evolving into a place where you’d go for the food, and it took them a long, long time.

But a restaurant critic I’d met earlier that week told me Ciel had a new chef who was doing interesting things. And really, how bad could it be? I figured the worst that could happen was that it would be a colossal rip-off, not the worst thing in the world. It turned out to be magical. Another hot but clear night, and Ciel of course is airconditioned. We were led to a table by the window (we were told this could not be reserved, so we were just lucky) where we had a bird’s view of all the major sights: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Place de la Concorde, Arche de la Defense – all sparkling below. It was difficult to tear myself away long enough to look at the menu which had an extensive menu plus a prix-fixe option with many choices. Again, being too hot to go ‘whole hog’, we shared a large starter of bonito tartare. Then E. had a saddle of lamb, and I had a succulent braised oxtail stuffed with foie gras. We shared a baba au Grand Marnier for dessert, and a bottle of Nuits St Georges Louis Jadot 1998 which E declared ‘well-priced for this kind of restaurant’, although it more than doubled the cost of the meal. Every table in the restaurant was taken but the table was ours for the evening, and we took our time. Great people watching: the crowd was a mixture of tourists (Spanish, American, Japanese) dressed in everything from shorts and t-shirts to evening-wear, and French families celebrating birthdays (Happy Birthday was played on the piano-bar several time – yes, it’s a piano which has been custom-extended to double as a bar – how much more kitsch can you get?) Although the meal was wonderful and romantic, it was by far the most expensive of the trip and a perfect ending. I might go back for breakfast though, as it’s open from very early and I’ll bet it has a totally different buzz during the day.

Paris sans Berthillon

I’ve only been to Paris in August for a couple of days at a time before, not long enough to lament the closure of Berthillon at what would seem the most inopportune time (from a visitor’s point of view, anyway!) But I hardly noticed, after finding Gelati Alberti on Rue Mouffetard. A tiny place that resembles a kiosk more than a shop (there’s only uncomfortable seating for five or six), it’s clear Alberti has put all its effort into the flavours and presentation of the ice creams/sorbets. The large range of flavors includes nothing more unusual than lemon meringue and green tea, but the quality is very high and if you order a cone, the scoops are carved into roses. Down the hill, also on Rue Mouffetard is another ice cream place - Octave, which I cannot recommend – not because the ice cream isn’t good (it is) - but because I got into one of those typical fights with the manager that only seem to happen in Paris. We sat down at one of the out-door tables, after having ordered cones from the counter - because we had ordered food to be taken away. It was 30 degrees C and I said we’d be more than happy to leave if a paying customer came along (the street, and shop, were as empty as a Sergio Leone film street, all that was missing was the tumbleweed and twangy music). But he insisted that if an inspector came by, he could get fined for allowing us to sit there. Not only have I never seen a restaurant inspector in Paris, but I doubted the chances of one making an appearance in the middle of August when most places were shut. Whatever. Those who love ice cream will go to Alberti!

• 10 months later...

Salut,

Due to no fault of my own, I will be in Paris for about a week either the first or second week of August. I have in general avoided going there in August because my main interest while in Paris (well, besides the work my company paid me to do) is food, and being in Paris in August would just be pointless.

I'd been trying to accomplish this business trip by the end of July, or at least wait until la rentree--but luck is not on my side.

Can you please help?

Does anyone know where to eat in August? What patisserie stays open? Restaurants? I'm pretty sure my beloved L'os a Moelle will be closed, but can someone local check for me? I would really truely appreciate the help.

I know that the ethnic places, like la Bamboo, is probably open, but I wouldn't want to just eat vietnamese everyday.

Any recommendation will be highly appreciated.

Pim

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying this again. My schedule is now firm, I will be there on the third week of August.

Can anyone please tell me which restaurants are open during that week? I've checked a couple places and they are closed, like L'os a Moelle and La Repair de Cartouche. How about others?

Thanks so much for you help. I'm getting quite desparate.

Pim :sad:

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

If you go to viamichelin.com, you can get some info. Some places are only closed part of August, sometimes into September. I believe this came up before and there was an even better site for data, but it escapes my fragile memory. Naturally, the restaurants at large hotels will be open.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

pim, there's always a boulangerie/patisserie open in every neighborhood, every day of the week. If the one nearest you is closed, they will have a short list posted of nearby places open on their days off.

As far as what restaurants will be open the 3rd week of August - there are too many mention. hollywood's right - check Michelin, they have dates.

I know for sure Ducasse at the Plaza will re-open August 18th.

Oui, moi - but not anywhere near the dining room I'm sure! Please say a special prayer for me that day.

You got it. One agnostic-humanist prayer coming up. Coincidentally, there was an interview with the manager of the Plaza on NPR about France's take on American food. He said his 11 year old "complemented" the waiter on the food at Ducasse by telling him their fries were "as good as McDonald's!"

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Not surprising. I once read an interview with Ducasse saying he loved McDonald's chicken McNuggets with Curry Sauce..

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Oui, moi - but not anywhere near the dining room I'm sure! Please say a special prayer for me that day.

You know that the bottom of the kitchen brigade is unprotected even by the angels. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

pim, there's always a boulangerie/patisserie open in every neighborhood, every day of the week. If the one nearest you is closed, they will have a short list posted of nearby places open on their days off.

Paris has its faults, but every now and then, it shows signs that it is the haven of civilization.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

hollywood, thanks.

Bux, please feel free to sacrifice a chicken for me then - McNugget or otherwise.

Maybe you could get on Ducasse's good side by bringing him a bucket of McNuggets with curry sauce. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

I just pulled out our notes for several days passing through Paris in August 2002, and find that, although most favorite dining rooms sported boarded fronts, we did find interesting meals at La Dinée in the 15th (mussel tempura with gaspacho; prawns in lemon cream sauce; vanilla mille feuille), L'Etrier in the 18th (shellfish salad, grilled dorade, coconut ice cream with tropical fruit) and an old and very simple friend, Machon d'Henri in the 6th (lentil salad, agneau sept heure, cherries in kirsch). This year, my only concern is whether the current heatwave will make meal planning superfluous, with the best choice being deli salad, chunk of bread and chilled white in front of the AC! :biggrin: Good luck. Repeating previouis advice, Michelin will give you a decent list of August openings.

eGullet member #80.

It's too damn hot! 99 degrees and no air-conditioning anywhere!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

My memories of summer days in Paris are that it's fairly humid as well. Reports of 100 degree F temperatures in Paris are almost frightening.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Do you think Ducasse is a Happy Meal kinda guy?  :biggrin:

I only know what I read, but my faith in fresh_a is implicit.

Not surprising. I once read an interview with Ducasse saying he loved McDonald's chicken McNuggets with Curry Sauce..

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

One of my favourites in Paris is open: Pierre Gagnaire. Try the lunch: about 10 different 'courses' for 85 €. Dinner is as expensive is every where in Paris three starred restaurants.

Otherwise it will be very difficult to find a good restaurant open in August in Paris.

And by the way: a very interesting, modern and not too expensive restaurant should be open as well: "La Table d'Anvers" (see: latabledanvers.com).

This restaurant is closely working together woth the university professor Hervé This who published many books about the relationship between cooking and science (unfortunately all in French, I think).

That link didn't work for me. Try latabledanvers.fr instead.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

If you're still looking for places that are open in August, you might want to try perusing cityvox.com's Paris site. I've found it to be the best restaurant reference for Paris that I've found. The search capabilities are much better than viamichelin.com and there are pictures and comments that give you a much better idea of what places are like. Ratings are user-based, with all the pitfalls inherent to that method. Most of the site is tranlated (roughly) into English, but knowing French makes it a lot more useful.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

You are ever so obliging, all of you. Sounds like I won't starve after all. I might even make it to Ducasse's. :-) Loufood, if I could pack up some cool breeze from San francisco for you when I go to Ducasse, I would. sorry.

I am ever so grateful. Now I can happily go back in my kitchen and cook up a storm in preparation for my (and Mamster's) upcoming Thai Cuisine class at eGCI. A shameless plug, I know, but check it out. I think it will be very informative for anyone interested in Thai cooking.

I don't normally use recipes for Thai food, so I have to make everything I intend to use in the class now in order to write down the recipes for eGullet--and also for the photos. All these before I run off to Europe in two days!!

Hopefully the heatwave will let up some before I get there.

Thanks again,

Pim

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste