• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Torrance, Palm Springs, Big Bear Lake?

Rosie

It's odd that you mention these particular spots. Fortunately, there's a lot of LA nearby where there's much better food. What are you looking for? I surely don't get to Torrance often and the only respectable restaurant I can recall in the area is Chez Melange in Redondo Beach. Big Bear is visited for the scenery, boating, skiing, not really for the food. Your best bet for high end food is clearly Palm Springs and environs but again it's not up to what's available in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood. Also, it's pretty damn hot in PS right now.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I heard there is good Chinese food in Torrance. They cater to the Chinese people who live in PV.

Now that you mention it, there's probably a good Japanese place or two in Gardena which is not that far away.

I grew up in the South Bay area, and I sure miss the meatball sandwiches at Giuliano's in Torrence. The absolute best.

I second the picks for Japanese, there are two strip malls at the corner of Redondo Beach Blvd and Gardena Ave and you can't go wrong there.

Japanese is fine--Thank you. How about Depot in Torrance? It's a James Beard restaurant. We are going to Big Bear lake for the hiking and scenery but would like to dine places that are a few steps --make that alot of steps above a Denny's etc. Will go to Palm Springs because we have never been there and know that it will be very hot. The last time I was in CA we had dinner at The French Laundry. Made the reservation and then got the plane tickets. Hope this info helps you with dinner suggestions. Thank you again. Rosie

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Up until a few months ago, I lived near Torrance (for over ten years) and can HEARTILY recommend heading Gardena (two miles away!) for Japanese. You gotta realize that this is a HUGE Japanese community catering to the corporate offices of Toyota, Honda, et al. I used to each lunch there every day and miss it terribly. My favorite was Shin Sen Gumi for Yakitori and Sen Nari for sushi.

The Depot is very good but I have to admit I was a bit jaded as when I wanted "upscale" cuisine, I would generally eat at Patina in L.A. The Depot has a dessert Bento Box made of chocolate that is pretty over-the-top. When I would have lunch there, I would have their "Club Sandwich" which was a crab cake, applewood-smoked bacon, and seared foie gras. Pretty fabulous for a club sandwich...

If possible please send addresses for Tsukiji,

Shin Sen Gumi and Sen Nari in Gardena.

Arriving the end of August and staying at the Marriot in Torrance. Plan on leaving Sunday of Labor Day weekend for Palm Springs. Husband wants to see golf courses and we would like to take a drive through Joshua Tree. I understand it is very hot and we will be unable to hike. Upscale on the edge restaurants serving cuisine that I may not find in NJ/NY would be great.

Then going to Bear Lake. Never been and it sounded like a nice place to spend a few days.

We like all types of cuisine and are open to anything interesting.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Shin-Sen-Gumi is at 18517 S. Western. 310-715-1588

Sen Nari is at 18222 S. Western.

Basically, as you head west from the 405 on the Western exit, Shin-Sen-Gumi is on your left in the first strip-mall from the freeway. As you continue down the street a small way (past a car dealership), Sen Nari is on your right in the same strip mall as a Union Bank.

BTW, if you go for sushi for lunch (as opposed to dinner). Right next door to Sen Nari is Bonjour French Pastry. I say this as the pastry shop is closed by the evening so it behooves you to head there during the day. While it is called a French Pastry, it caters entirely to the Japanese community so there tend to be delicate little pastries out of the ordinary, like ones made with Green Tea next to the St. Honore! Their number is 310-323-1468. Highly recommend! You see the real French pastry chefs working in the back, with cute, diminutive Japanese girls (with bows in their hair!) working the front...

Thank you so much. Don't think we will make lunch. Plane gets in at 11:30. We'll go someplace for dinner and the rest of the weekend will be with family.

You have more than enough time -- in fact the timing couldn't be more perfect! The distance from either LAX or Orange County is about a half-hour. Don't eat the airplane food, head straight for the sushi, then you can have a lovely afternoon coffee and pastry.

Just a thought...

Then going to Bear Lake. Never been and it sounded like a nice place to spend a few days.

Big Bear is right next to Lake Arrowhead, the setting for Chandler's The Lady in the Lake. It'll be busy the closer you get to Labor Day. Otherwise it's placid and Alpine. Unfortunately, yesterday Arrowhead had a first stage smog alert--probably due to the inversion layer and too many SUVs chugging around the mountain canyons. Hopefully, this won't occur during your visit.

Carolyn--I like the way you think! Sounds like a good idea.  :smile:

Please post back and tell me what you think -- I mis that place terribly and envy you a lovely afternoon...

BTW, at Sen-Nari Sushi, make sure to ask if they have the softshell crab. It should be in season. Also, my other favorites they made was their version of the albacore tuna (slightly cooked with scallions, and a house sauce), shiitake mushrooms, and unagi.

Going right after Labor Day. Should I stay at Lake Arrowhead rather than Big Bear Lake?  Found a very nice B&B but haven't booked it yet.

It's been several years since I've been but Arrowhead is nicer and there were better restaurants there. FWIW, there's a McDonald's that you can get to by car or by boat. Basically, ther's more money in Arrowhead and a better view.

As for Palm Springs area, the usual guidebooks and/or your concierge are probably your best bet. One thing that occurs to me is that you could combine your husband's love of golf and your quest for food by visiting La Quinta and eating at the La Quinta Grill.

Edited by hollywood (log)

As for Palm Springs area, the usual guidebooks and/or your concierge are probably your best bet.  One thing that occurs to me is that you could combine your husband's love of golf and your quest for food by visiting La Quinta and eating at the La Quinta Grill.

He's not going to have time to play golf as this is OUR vacation together. Also it will be too hot. He just wants to see the golf courses. We will dine out though! :biggrin:

Thanks for the info.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...