• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Dining

My husband and I will be in Seattle later this month. We are staying in Downtown Seattle. We have been to the Dahlia Lounge and Le Pichet on our last trip, we are looking for a few great places that have reasonable prix fixe meals or happy hour specials worth checking out. We are looking to spend no more than $75 dollars for two (including drinks if possible). We have rented a car so we flexible with locations.

Thanks!

Here's a few threads with suggestions:

Seattle restaurant suggestions

Brasa bar menu: Since you mentioned happy hours, this is the place. Just had dinner there recently and it continues to be delicious, and a wonderful bargain. I haven't been there, but I have heard Tango's happy hour is also good.

Eat where the chefs eat

As I mentioned in the first thread, I had lunch at Matt's in the Market recently and enjoyed it; they are open for dinner, and reservations are recommended. Another place I would love to go back to is Flying Fish. The food and service were both excellent, really exceeded my expectations. Harvest Vine was amazing but probably outside your budget. Cassis on Capitol Hill is a very nice French restaurant that has weekday early dinner specials. If you want to check menus, many of these restaurants have websites, and you can also use the Amazon restaurant search.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I definitely agree with Le Pichet and Matt's in the Market. It is also worth the drive across the lake to Cafe Juanita - probably the best Italian I have eaten on many trips to Seattle.

At the high end Campagne is the best I have tried in Seattle and Brasa is also good. Rover's is also OK but

Flying Fish, Cascadia, Fandango, Restaurant Zoe etc are all OK but not in the exemplary category. Wild Ginger serves nice food but it isn't very 'Asian' for my palate. Monsoon is a bit better in this category.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

It is also worth the drive across the lake to Cafe Juanita - probably the best Italian I have eaten on many trips to Seattle.

I'm not sure they could do Cafe Juanita for ~$75 for 2 though...

Born Free, Now Expensive

Cafe with great pastries = Cafe Besalu.  See the croissant thread.  Everyone liked it except Neil, and we shipped him out for his apostasy.

I was TOLD I was just there on a bad day, but it's true - I wasn't overly impressed with Besalu. My first choice for pastries would be the Essential Bakery in Wallingford.

And please try the Capitol Club for dinner. It was one of my favorite places, but it doesn't get nearly the notice it desserves.

Actually, I just wanted to see if I had the power to summon nightscotsman. Essential Baking is also very good. Grand Central is not bad either. I was there yesterday and had a great piece of strawberry-rhubarb coffee cake.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May