• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking and Kids

Thanks for participating David.

I remember seeing your daughters with you on Taste. Do you have any good stories about cooking with them? Any recipes that they especially liked to make? Do they love food now the way that you do?

My four year old daughter likes to help me make bread, pizza, and sorbet/ice cream. She can also measure, rinse, fill up and start the rice maker on her own.

Some of my greatest times with my daughters involve food and cooking! It's almost embarrassing to tell you what foodies they've become! I think they're embarrassed by it! When we dine alone, all we talk about is the texture of this, the taste of that. etc. There's foie gras. raw shellfish, tongue, Indian food, you name it. When the girls dine with their friends--it's hamburgers--and conversation about anything else!

One of my favorite moments took place last summer. We were all staying at a beautiful lakeside house in rural Iceland, surrounded by a blueberry patch. There were other fruits as well. In the refrigerator was skyr, a delicious Icelandic dairy product that tastes a little like rich yogurt. The girls spent an hour, during a beautiful August twilight, arranging various plates with the fruit and blueberries they had picked, and skyr, trying to out-do each other with the most beautiful composition. I was in the happy position of being judge!

Of course, as I mentioned in another response--their favorite food is sushi! The more esoteric the better!