• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in San Diego

Bashful3

I'll be visiting San Diego for a couple of days at the end of the month for my little brother's graduation at MCRD.  I'd appreciate recommendations for the best of the best in the area (price not an issue, one way or the other).

Thanks!

Scott

Here's an out-of-towner's dining perspective from a May 2003 business/pleasure trip to San Diego:

Fio's: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=15.topic

Star of the Sea: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=16.topic

Chive: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=17.topic

Pamplemousse Grill, Solana Beach: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=18.topic

George's at the Cove, La Jolla: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=19.topic

El Bizcocho, Rancho Bernardo: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=20.topic

Rancho Valencia, Rancho Santa Fe: http://p216.ezboard.com/frestaurantsanddin...opicID=21.topic

Sorry to say that Fio's is now closed. I was sad to see it go.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I think the Marine Room is nice for the view, but the prices are steep and the food doesn't merit that, IMO.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I think the Marine Room is nice for the view, but the prices are steep and the food doesn't merit that, IMO.

I agree. We usually end up there for either cocktails or perhaps dessert and enjoy the view that way. It's easier on the wallet.

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Two friends and I have a 15 year tradition of dining together when we attend an annual conference, this year in San Diego. The "rules" require that the restaurant be "the best" in the area and that we spend at least $1 more that the previous year! This year will be especially noteworthy as our spouses will attend for the first time.

The recommendations we have so far are Mille Fleurs and Mr. A's. Any comments, suggestions or other recommendations would be appreciated. The event will be in late October.

Thanks.

Ooo, I'd re-think Mr. A's. Rumor has it that since it changed hands a while ago it's no longer the restaurant that it used to be.

The chi-chi place to dine at would be George's at the Cove . Technically, it's in La Jolla, but I'd put it on the list of possibilities anyway. They even have a dress code for the evening diners. :wink:

Tim Oliver

Mr. A's isn't what it used to be, but that isn't all bad. It was stuck in the 50's before as far as food is concerned. It is now run by the owner of none other than Mille Fleurs, Bertrand Hug, and it's now Bertrand at Mr. A's. Great view, and a whole lot better than it used to be, but I don't think it's the best place in town.

Best means different things to different people. Best food? Best View? Formal? Less so? Something unique to the area? Classic French? Where will you be staying? What were some of the places you went in past years?

Sorry for the vague request. Best food is definitely at the top of the list, and not too formal (tie not required). Wine selection will also be important. Past experiences have included Patina in LA, Norman's in Miami/Coral Gables, Tapenade (?) in La Jolla and K-Pauls in New Orleans.

One couple in the group is local. The others will be staying near the Convention Center but we are willing to drive for the right place.

I don't think anyplace in the area requires a tie. Unfortunately, what we don't have much of around here are great, moderately-priced restaurants. The "best" places are generally expensive. You might consider the following (in no particular order):

In the downtown area, The Star of the Sea Room just got a nice write-up in the local paper. It has a great setting, right on the water, and the seafood is said to be innovative. I haven't eaten there in years, but the review makes me want to go back soon. Across the bay on Coronado, Azzura Point in the Loews gets good reviews for food and view. I've never eaten there though. Le Fointainbleau at the Westgate Hotel is formal French, and I had a very good dinner there a few months ago.

El Bizcocho at the Rancho Bernardo Inn is a pretty far drive from downtown, but certainly one of the best places in the area. Great food, wine list to die for and good service. Expensive, but worth it.

In La Jolla, George's at the Cove is a long-time favorite. They have very good seafood, although not exclusively. I actually prefer the informal rooftop to the main dining room, but that is only because it's more casual, less expensive, and great for lunch. The Marine Room in La Jolla has innovative seafood and one of the best views anywhere. I've had several great meals there. The Sky Room at the La Valencia Hotel is a special occassion place of the first order, alhough there have been a lot of changes since I last ate there. The setting is one of the most romantic in the area. By the way, I love the food at Tapenade, although it can be a little cramped. Another place I haven't been that gets good reviews is A.R. Valentien at the new Lodge at the Torrey Pines Golf Course.

In Rancho Santa Fe, Mille Fleurs was good before the area had many good places, although it can be a little snooty and very expensive. Rancho Valencia is also very nice in that area, and almost as expensive.

If you are willing to drive up the coast to Carlsbad, Vivace is a terrific northern Italian in the Four Seasons Aviara Resort. The setting, food, and wine list are first-rate, and you shouldn't have any problem spending more than last year. Try to get a view table.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

Region is another San Diego restaurant that you may want to consider; it got very positive discussion in this thread, in case you missed it:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=44901

I second this recommendation. My husband and I went a couple of weeks ago when we were in San Diego on vacation. One of the best meals we've had in a LONG time.

I recommend doing Trust the Chef along with the wine recommendations. Fabulous experience and a fun neighborhood to boot.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

A San Diego couple came to the Outstanding in the Field dinner at Frog's Leap Winery this past Saturday. They are actually moving away from San Diego because the food is so disappointing to them--headed for Chicago, where I bet they'll be happy in that regard.

Their favorite place is 910 (Nine Ten? Nine One Oh?) in La Jolla.

A San Diego couple came to the Outstanding in the Field dinner at Frog's Leap Winery this past Saturday. They are actually moving away from San Diego because the food is so disappointing to them--headed for Chicago, where I bet they'll be happy in that regard.

Their favorite place is 910 (Nine Ten? Nine One Oh?) in La Jolla.

The chefs at Region were formerly at 910. I can't recommend this restaurant enough - it's fabulous.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I would definitely stay AWAY from A.R. Valentien and Mille Fleur. I actually staged at A.R. Valentien for a day and sampled many of the dishes and found them very disappointing. I also had a VERY mediocre experience at Mille Fleur.

If you have heard of Bradley Ogden, he has a restaurant called Arterra in Del Mar, which I have heard very many good things about. I have yet to eat at any of his restaurants, but from the people I know that have dined at them, they come very well recommended.

Other than that, Tana's acquaintance has it nailed - San Diego really has no great restaurants yet.

I liked Campton Place in San Francisco when Bradley Ogden ran it a number of years ago, but I doubt he has been to Arterra much since it opened. He is basically a consultant there. It is a nice restaurant with good food in a chain hotel which isn't really in Del Mar and has nothing interesting to see or walk to around it.

It is true that San Diego has no great restaurants, as I've said several times on here in tha past. On the other hand, it's not the culinary waste land it was 20 years ago. You can get quite good meals now, and some places take advantage of the weather and natural beauty you get in very few places. Moving to Chicago is a bit drastic in my opinion.

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

I am flummoxed by such blanket statements as "there are no great restaurants in San Diego". And I hardly think any sane person would move out of San Diego because there are no good restaurants...moving because the price of housing is currently in the astronomical range, perhaps, would be much more believeable. But you're telling me you're moving because you couldn't get a decent foam? Oh, please.

So what is your yardstick, what makes a restaurant "great", in your opinion? I am really interested in hearing why you think so many San Diego restaurants fail to measure up.

edited to complete a sentence.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

I am flummoxed by such blanket statements as "there are no great restaurants in San Diego". And I hardly think any sane person would move out of San Diego because there no good restaurants...moving because the price of housing is currently in the astronomical range, perhaps, would be much more believeable. But you're telling me you're moving because you couldn't get a decent foam? Oh, please.

So what is your yardstick, what makes a restaurant "great", in your opinion? I am really interested in hearing why you think so many San Diego restaurants fail to measure up.

Toliver, let me just say that, all things being equal, they took jobs in Chicago with great relief. They are serious foodies, and San Diego just didn't do it for them in any regard. But yes, they did decide to move because of the food. That was the major factor.

I agree with Tana. I went to culinary school in Pasadena (the L.A. area) and moved to Chicago precisely because they had more to offer (namely, Trio). If you're serious about food, which I am and it sounds like Tana's acquaintances are, what better reason to move could there be?

Toliver, I guess "great" is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to restaurants. I thought about it quite a bit and I suggested a number of places in the area that I consider to be very good restaurants and which might qualify as "the best." I've had very good experiences at all of them, some more consistently than others. And believe me, if you compare what we have now with what we had 20 years ago, we've come a long, long way. I still don't think we have any in the area that measure up to the best places in San Francisco or Paris, for instance. That's probably true of most areas of the country.

But it shouldn't be true in San Diego, which is part of the Eden Belt (my designation) in California. It enjoys an ideal climate, the ability to grow things year 'round, and never mind the population of a millon or so (which, along with the weird politics, drove me out of there in 1983--too crowded!).

A city of that size, with the potential of produce all year long, should be able to manifest quite a lot intelligent restaurants.

What gives?

Hey, I still miss Dan Fouts. I lived in SD for years.

Indeed; in addition to the number of very high quality farms in the area (Chino, Good Faith, etc...), local mussel farms, very good Pacific lobster caught no more than a stone's throw from many San Diego beaches, and lots of great seafood brought up from Baja.

I have repeated the "what gives" line over and over in my head since I moved here from Chicago last year.

On top of that, there is TONS of money in the area, many biotech firms, and as Tana said, beautiful weather all the time. Why can't all of that support or attract a high-quality restaurant?

I am attending a huge annual meeting in San Diego next week and we're flummoxed as where to eat with a large group. I have two separate large dinners engagements with "Buca di Beppo" picked as the "restaurant of choice" because it can accomodate large groups and its walking distance to the Convention Center.

Can anyone recommend something that will save my palate?

As for fine dining in San Diego, I like George's and my parents like the Marine Room. I recently had an excellent Italian dinner at a place in the Renaissance shopping center where the Afghani restaurant once was housed. Its the shopping center off of Executive drive near UTC. The decor was nothing big, but the food was outstanding.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.