• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Market Report - Madison

Made my first visit to the Madison Farmer's Market today. A few of the vendors were back, I'm sure the rest will emerge as the crops ripen. About six vendors had stands up. The layout suggested the gaps were assigned to no-shows.

Nina Stein White of Bobolink Farm was there with the Spring Frolic, Cheddar, and Jean-Louis. Also had the Mommy Bread, the braided bread, and a cheese loaf. Got a lot of oohs and aaahs with her samples. Bobolink will be at the Millburn market on Friday morning, I believe.

Greenwood Farms was back with their home made smoked mozzarella, ripe red tomatoes, radishes, and basil. Promises of free range chicken next week. GF offers a natural, free range turkey for thanksgiving and christmas dinners with advance notice, too.

Alstede Farms had a small selection of ripe greens, broccoli and promises of much more. "We're about two weeks behind schedule with all the rain and the cool spring."

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

you beat me to it. I was surprised to see Bobolink there and told Nina that i had read about her on Egullet. She was extremely nice and was very enthusiastic about her work and extremely complimentary about her husband's cheese-making prowess. :biggrin: I bought some Spring Frolic and some Cave Ripened cheddar. Also bought the Onion Rye, Cheese-onion, and Mommy bread. yum! Also picked up some fresh mozz from Greenwood with some basil. And finished it off with some flowers for my mother from the last stall, didn't pick up the name.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

you beat me to it.  ........  And finished it off with some flowers for my mother from the last stall, didn't pick up the name.

The last stand was Alstede's from Chester, I believe.

Melick's was first, then Greenwood, then Bobolink, then ?, then Alstede's.

The market is located at Madison High school, on Ridgedale Avenue through September, when the site moves to the town pool property. Dates as noted in Rosie's citation

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Was at the Madison market on July 3rd and saw Bobolink cheese for the first time. I bought a piece of Frolic home and served it to a few friends before our fireworks party. It was gone in ten seconds- Everyone loved it. This is not cheese for the weak- it is strong and delicious and the rosemary bread was wonderful with it. Love at first taste...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the Farmersville Cheese folks have returned to Madison's market. Thursday 2pm to 7pm, IIRC. Unusual to have two gourmet cheese providers in one place.

Farmersville produces a tangy sheep milk cheese, with a very tangy, almost spicy aftertaste. The rinds are often rolled in herbs to provide a nice visual and mild flavoring. Prices typically run $16.99.

Greenwood had frozen organic free range poussin last week, just under two pounds. Smoked mozz

rancho gordo

• 3 weeks later...

Madison - August 7th

new vendor - Wantage Community Supported Agriculture, an NOFA organic vendor. Garlic, tomatoes, leeks, etc.

Jonathan White of Bobolink made a visit to Madison. He said that he's considering increasing his dairy herd. Demand for cheeses has been good. He showed a new cheese Moonglow, which tasted fine as a sample. I bought a piece and will comment after I've tasted in detail. It's a late spring, 70 day, cheese.

Ewon from Farmersville Cheese had a new offering, Sheep Log . This is an 80 day, olive oil and herbes de provence rubbed cheese. I liked it a lot and bought a slab, along with the more traditional, ACS prize winning cheese. Jonathan and Ewon spent several minutes discussing the finer points of rind development, humidity, herbs, washing cheese, etc. It was fascinating to listen. Business seemed good for both of them, lots of people asking questions and buying.

Lots of tomatoes, squash and egplant are in abundance.

rancho gordo