• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Infusions

Varmint

I know lots of people make their own infusions with lemon and other fruits, but has anyone ever done a tea infused vodka or grain alcohol?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to come up with an alcoholic version of a southern-style, sweetened iced tea. Perhaps in a shooter form.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The only tea I've ever had with alcohol, is a blueberry tea. Tea and Grand marnier. Does it need anything else? :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm thinking along the lines of taking vodka, adding some loose tea, and let it infuse for awhile, perhaps adding sugar. I'll then chill this flavored (and caffeinated) vodka, add a touch of limoncello or a lemon infused vodka, and make an iced tea.

Or something along those lines.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Mexican Tea -

2 c Tea; strong, cold

2 c Tequila

1 c Pinapple juice

1/4 c Water

1/4 c Lemon juice

1 1/2 ts Aromatic bitters

1/4 c Honey

1/4 c Lime juice

1 1/2 ts Cinnamon; ground

Mix, cool, stir, serve.

ALSO - celestial seasoning's web site has a recipe mixing their orange zinger tea w/ orange liqueur, and a couple of shots of vodka. (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/whoweare/press/presskit/Recipes.pdf)

I'm thinking along the lines of taking vodka, adding some loose tea, and let it infuse for awhile, perhaps adding sugar.  I'll then chill this flavored (and caffeinated) vodka, add a touch of limoncello or a lemon infused vodka, and make an iced tea.

Or something along those lines.

The russians drink hot tea with vodka, so at least from a cultural standpoint its not too far off.

The Koreans have a brand of Soju, which is a like a vodka but is at 44 proof called "sahn soju" brewed by a company called Doosan which made with sweet potato that is infused with green tea essence. Its very good.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/kt_special/200...17454049110.htm

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host