• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A good book

Florida Jim

The last sip; why is it always the best?

Cool and breezy in the mountains today but clear. A nice change from the rain we have had over the past week. Still a light jacket/flannel shirt is required.

The dogs, of course, with their curly coats, are comfortable. Heads into the wind, waiting for the next scent that merits attention; fully a part of their environment.

I have been reading most of the day.

Diane will be along this weekend so, with the final days of my time alone, today seems a good day for a good book.

But its lunch time.

A green salad, some rye toast and a plate of assorted cheeses was easy and tasty. First, I opened a 2000 Terres Dorees, L’Ancien Beaujolais VV, but it was corked. ‘Pity that; it can be such a treat.

Next try, a 1999 Rbt. Chevillon, Bourgogne. Delightful.

No need to go on about it; good, straight-forward pinot flavor without pretense and ready to quaff today. Fine accompaniment to lunch. Maybe I’ll leave a bit for later; I could say that I am interested in what the air will do to it – but really, I like it and a glass later would be nice.

Besides, the last glass I had was so delicious . . .

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com