• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's your favorite restaurant in Hoboken?

When did Vale close?

Not soon enough!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Not even in the same ballpark as Taste of Asia formerly in Montclair.

That's exactly the formerly somewhat local place I was referring to. Durn I loved that place.

Looks like they reopened in South Orange according to Rosie's listings. That doesn't help me much.

Thanks to all for your perspectives! I might try Satay sometime if I'm passing through Hoboken at the right time. It's got one advantage, it's near the train station, which is usually how I'm traveling to/from Hoboken.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

i-scallop.jpg

i-2-2.jpg

i-corv-4.jpg

My favorite restaurant in Hoboken is La Isla, although the last thing it needs is any more business! But it's great food, and the owner, Omar, is a great guy with a great attitude.

There are yet more photos here:

La Isla Dinner Photos

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's