• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gifts

Florida Jim

In the summer of 2000, a friend who works for a local wine wholesaler, told me that she had come across a case of the 98 Vieux Mas des Papes in her warehouse that had been mis-marked as the 97. She asked if I wanted it and I said sure. ‘Wound-up being less than $20 a bottle.

Recently, my wife had a smoked pork loin sent to me so that I would have something special to nibble on while I was here in Carolina, without her.

(Fortunately, she’ll be along shortly.)

Tonight, I had a bit of each.

The CdP has a distinct salty/mineral component on the nose to accompany its red and black fruit aromas. Pretty nice mouthfeel but still plenty of tannic grip (not over the edge but solid), ripe fruit flavors and an attractive earthy quality. ‘Finishes well, albeit dry.

I’ll likely leave the rest of my stash alone for a couple years before trying another – they seem to need it. ‘Went very well with the pork – I think it’s the smokey flavors that make it match-up so well.

None other than James Lowell noted that “. . . the gift without the giver is bare.” And so this evening, as I enjoy my dinner, I sit and consider the generosity of others.

‘Nice night.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com