• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Cooks and Bakers

Fat Guy

Mamster uses bread-baking as an excuse to buy new gadgets.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mamster:

Great article. How go the bagel experiments? Have you "solved" the mystery of different types of malt? Keep us informed.

JFLinLA (Jody)

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I haven't done another batch of bagels yet, JF, or any bread in the last couple of days, because I ran out of the supermarket yeast I'd been using and am still waiting for my pound of yeast from King Arthur. I did, you'll be glad to hear, take that as a signal to try making a sourdough starter. I don't think it's growing yet. If there are any microbes in there, I think they're laughing at me.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Taking Mamster's analogies in reverse, when I get around to baking I'll finally find out what a woman's breast feels like. :laugh:

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

When ever I consider trying to make bread, I'm discouraged because of my crappy oven. The Hearth Kit can't cure a bad oven (the internal temperature fluctuates uncontrollably), can it?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Yes, it can. The Hearthkit is basically a big hunk of clay. Stick a big hunk of clay in your oven and two things will happen: (1) It will take longer to preheat. The time it takes your oven to preheat is mostly spent heating the walls of the oven, not the air. (2) When the heating element goes off, the oven will cool more slowly. That's because you've got a big-ass hunk of clay in there radiating heat. Even a pizza stone will help smooth out the temperature fluctuations; the Hearthkit is just heavier.

Great article! I can really relate. I, too, am a cook, not a baker. However, I venture into that swamp on occasion. I, too, look at the King Arthur catalog and drool over the cool gadgets. But this is the first time I have ever heard anyone else admit that watching the dough go around with the dough hook on the Kitchenaid is a cool thing to do. The first time I tried it, I was so fascinated that I over-kneaded the dough. My kids came in and found me staring into the bowl, totally transfixed. (MOM! Snap out of it! It's just dough for chrisakes!)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The dough hook rules. If I were a pirate, I would cut off my hand and replace it with a dough hook. The other hand I would replace with a whisk. I would work in the galley and say "arrr, hands off me mise en place."

Now that I have gotten up off the floor and respiration has returned to normal...

Mamster, you have just created a new fixation. I will be spending the weekend brandishing wisks and spatulas while yelling "AAARRR!" My son will be visiting and I am sure he will be suitably alarmed. I, of course, will not explain.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Mamster,

I didn't see the original discussion, so maybe am being redundant (my usual state) but malts go like this:

Diastatic Malt comes in powder and liquid, and is used in breads as a sweetener, to feed the yeast, and as a preservative (longer shelf life.)

Non-Diastatic Malt is used in the water you boil bagels in, to give them a shiny crust. Sugar can be substituted, if necessary.

Hope this helps!