• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I don't know how welcome eGullet newbies will be, but I'd like to come if they are.  I've only helped with a few hogs, but I know my way around brisket and pork shoulder pretty well.

Jim

I must have been 'channeling' this thread via a plate of spare ribs, because I just posted my ardent desire to attend a good ole fashioned pig roast on the NJ board.

Mark was kind enough to send me here.

So, even though I just found this site a couple of days ago, the idea of driving 500 miles to attend a pig roast with people I don't really know is somewhat intriguing. The Colombus Day weekend date is key here.... the wife and I both have that day off.

And speaking of the wife, I don't think I should have much trouble convincing her go along with the idea, as she is involved in several online boards.

So the way I see it, if she can have her group of dangerous, axe wielding, internet friends, why can't I have mine? :biggrin:

This won't be just an everyday pig pickin', either, so what's the big deal about driving 500 miles and shelling out for a hotel for a couple of nights??? It actually sounds pretty damn crazy to me, but I'm just hosting the event!

Anyhow, you will be welcome. The food should be pretty good, and I am truly going to brine an entire pig. Now has anyone ever done that before? We've got people coming from Texas, Toronto, Massachussets, Philly, Jersey, Atlanta, South Cackalacky, and maybe even from California and Maine.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

QUOTE (HungryChris @ May 24 2003, 09:15 PM)

I have checked with my accomplice, varmint, and we have decided to show up. All we need are the details and what you want us to bring or do!

That's great, HungryChris. Where are you located? We'll iron out details over the next couple of months.

By the way, we're trying to see if there's any way to have Southern Culture on the Skids play at a local club Friday night.  Website  They're a blast.

Have you checked out some of the recipes on their site? Maybe we can make a few as side dishes.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

i'm assuming there's a "major" airport nearby?  one with a car rental place and running water?

RDU, tommy - it's even a hub - primarily served by American, Delta, but all of the major airlines fly into there.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

RDU - Raleigh Durham.  It just occured to me.  Instead of a group rate at a hotel perhaps it would be better to book an eGullet wing at the famous Duke University Weight Loss Center.

Come on, Holly. Y'all just have to pay me $59.95 to join the Varmint's not an eGullet Diet Weight Loss System. You'll get access to this diary that reveals all my secrets.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

is kpurvis related to jonathan purvis by any chance?  long shot, of course, and nothing at all to do with this thread.

Sorry, missed this one in the general flurry. I was distracted by my disappointment at being left off the "chicks" list. No, don't know any Jonathans. My branch of the family is based around Americus, Ga., and is dominated by names like "Tump" and "L'il Bubber." But my understanding is that the name goes back to Ireland, so if you scratch around long enough, we Perverts usually have common roots.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

i'm assuming there's a "major" airport nearby?  one with a car rental place and running water?

Hell, we actually have a couple of direct flights to Europe, tommy boy!

Had to share this one, just for the amusement of my fellow Southerners: A friend's husband here in Charlotte (home of the second- and third-largest banks in America, including one we lured from some little berg by the Golden Gate) is a free-lance cameraman. A production team from Food Network was scouting for a recent trip and somebody actually asked him "Is the road from the airport paved?"

On Andrea, I think it's "OHN-dree-ah," but I rarely hear it pronounced. I see it a lot though -- her folks live here and I get frequent e-mails from her adoring dad. Did anybody see her newest venture -- a set of CDs paired with wine tips? Martha's got nothing on this girl.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

is kpurvis related to jonathan purvis by any chance?  long shot, of course, and nothing at all to do with this thread.

Sorry, missed this one in the general flurry. I was distracted by my disappointment at being left off the "chicks" list.

I didn't know, K - I swear I didn't know... :shock::sad:

Okay, let's see, where were we?

There's K (for Katherine? Katy? Kitsy? Kandee? Kelly?) Purvis and Claire and Maggie and Marlene and Katie L and Heather and Malawry and Rachel and... and... have I left anyone else out? Oh - BLONDIE - my fave New Yorker!

And all the fun guys, too.

Oh, and Holly, I'm looking forward to meeting you and filling you up with some good ol' Southern Hospitality. I am sure you can use some. I've been concerned about your health, having recently heard that you had been "stricken" with something or another.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Most current list of attendees:

Hjshorter + 23 (actually, only +3) (DC area)

ZebA + 1-1/2 (Raleigh)

Marlene +1 (Toronto)

Vengroff +1 (DC)

Jaymes (Texas but Missouri by then)

=Mark (NJ)

maggiethecat (Chi-town)

Holly Moore (Philly)

KatieLoeb (Philly)

Malawry (DC area)

edemuth (??) (DC area)

Dave the Cook (Hotlanta)

Kpurvis (Charlotte)

Dlc (Tennessee)

Mummer (Philly)

claire797 +2 (??)

herbacidal (??) (Philly)

Blondie (NY)

Ditsydine (Raleigh)

NewYorkTexan (??) (Austin, TX)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (Jersey – in their RV)

Timothycdavis (Charlotte)

Weka +1 (Cary)

Hungry Chris +1 (where are you from?)

Jmcgrath (Massachussets)

Hscottk is very interested (where are you located?)

Tommy is "in", and is starting to really think about being really in now that he's learned that Raleigh isn't totally populated by extras from Deliverance. But he's still probably out.

Nickn from Maine realized it's a thousand miles, but is reconsidering.

Xanthippe is crazy enough (and easy enough to manipulate) that she's considering coming from the redwood highlands of California.

Aurora is trying to round up the Heartland gang, if only they'd get over their Bourdain hangover.

Bourdain has been conspicuously silent.

S'kat had to drop out to go to some garlic festival. That's a bit weak, if you ask me.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sorry, missed this one in the general flurry. I was distracted by my disappointment at being left off the "chicks" list.

There's K (for Katherine? Katy? Kitsy? Kandee? Kelly?) Purvis and Claire and Maggie and Marlene and Katie L and Heather and Malawry and Rachel and... and... have I left anyone else out?

Oh, and and Holly, I'm looking forward to meeting you and filling you up with some good ol' Southern Hospitality. I am sure you can use some. I've been concerned about your health, having recently heard that you had been "stricken" with something or another.

holly is a fellow, not a lady. just thought that might be relevant.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

There's K (for Katherine? Katy? Kitsy? Kandee? Kelly?) Purvis and Claire and Maggie and Marlene and Katie L and Heather and Malawry and Rachel and... and... have I left anyone else out? Oh and BLONDIE - my fave New Yorker!

Oh, and Holly, I'm looking forward to meeting you

holly is a fellow, not a lady. just thought that might be relevant.

Yeah, I know Holly is no lady (I mentioned him after the 'guy' reference). But we're not holding that against him.

Hell, some of the rest of us us ain't no ladies either.

Which is one very big reason why I am really looking forward to this.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Aurora is trying to round up the Heartland gang, if only they'd get over their Bourdain hangover.

Perhaps they could fly to NY and then ALL ride to Raleigh together in the Perlow's RV.

(Just trying to be helpful :biggrin: )

Oh yeah!!! That goes double for me. I've had a feeling for some time that these other gals would be worthy partners in crime... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh yeah!!! That goes double for me. I've had a feeling for some time that these other gals would be worthy partners in crime... :raz:

Mrs. Varmint may just fit in. I'm the one who gets the cookware. Mrs. Varmint gets the power tools. Mrs. Varmint has never worn makeup. Mrs. Varmint wears no jewelry except her wedding ring and a Timex Ironman watch. Mrs. Varmint's dress of choice is gym shorts, t-shirt, Chuck Taylor hightops. When I first met Mrs. Varmint, I thought she was a lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that). She thought I was a geek.

She was right; I was wrong.

I didn't marry no girly-girl!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Most current list of attendees:

Hjshorter + 23 (actually, only +3) (DC area)

ZebA + 1-1/2 (Raleigh)

Marlene +1  (Toronto)

Vengroff +1 (DC)

Jaymes (Texas but Missouri by then)

=Mark (NJ)

maggiethecat (Chi-town)

Holly Moore (Philly)

KatieLoeb (Philly)

Malawry (DC area)

edemuth (??) (DC area)

Dave the Cook (Hotlanta)

Kpurvis (Charlotte)

Dlc (Tennessee)

Mummer (Philly)

claire797 +2 (??)

herbacidal (??) (Philly)

Blondie (NY)

Ditsydine (Raleigh)

NewYorkTexan (??) (Austin, TX)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (Jersey – in their RV)

Timothycdavis (Charlotte)

Weka +1 (Cary)

Hungry Chris +1 (where are you from?)

Jmcgrath (Massachussets)

Hscottk is very interested (where are you located?)

Tommy is "in", and is starting to really think about being really in now that he's learned that Raleigh isn't totally populated by extras from Deliverance. But he's still probably out.

Nickn from Maine realized it's a thousand miles, but is reconsidering.

Bourdain has been conspicuously silent. 

S'kat had to drop out to go to some garlic festival.  That's a bit weak, if you ask me.

And Xanthippe is still actively considering a cross-country trek in order to attend what promises to be one hell of a shindig!

S'kat: Garlic, schmarlic -- I'd go for the pig pickin' any old time!!

S'kat:  Garlic, schmarlic -- I'd go for the pig pickin' any old time!!

I'd agree, normally. But we've rented out the B&B, with friends, a year ago, so no can do.

Here's an idea... let's move the pig pickin' up north to Virginia... we'll eGulletize all of the surrounding Festival B&Bs, have the pig pickin' in the mountains, and still sample some fun wines and garlic...?

Um...? Even I have to admit, it doesn't sound half as organized as Varmint's version of things. Darn. :rolleyes:

I have now returned from two weeks in the Pacific Northwest (more on that later), and Malawry has just alerted me to this lovely thread.

Count me in, dear Varmint! :wub: I have a trip to India provisionally scheduled around Columbus Day weekend, but I will figure something out... how could I possibly miss this????

Looking forward to being a part of the ladies' (however you choose to define that word) contingent too! :cool:

Erin